Stove pipe cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

adangelo

Aug 5, 2023
Canada
Hi just looking for some advice, I clean my stove pipe once a year from the top down but obviously I can't clean past the damper which is a foot or so from the stove. There's a bit of build up at the cap not much more just dust and then a light coating of dust along the pipe itself.

Is it critical to take the pipe apart at the bottom and clean that last little bit of pipe before the damper? It's double walled in that part and I burn through about 5 to 6 face cords a winter.

This may depend on the stove. In some cases, a lot of soot and sote can collect on top of the baffle to the point where it becomes restrictive. Maybe pull the baffle this year to check it out. You might even be able to run the brush up to the damper from the inside.

Yea good call just decided not to be lazy and went in from bottom, was well worth it as was quite dirty, not restricting air but glad I checked