stove pipe clearance???? new b

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xjnuttier

Oct 1, 2008
SE PA
Hello, guys this is my first thread. I have did a lot of reading on here and i have to say, you all have a great site and work well together, glad to be here. I had just finished putting in the the new raised hearth, and ran the tile to the ceiling. The chimney is propsed to go srait up thru the house and out the roof. I the questions I have is, once we have cut our hole in for the propsed chimeny, it would not work where we were going to run it through at, and now the ceiling support is going to be within 2 inches of the corner of the wall. it is a kitty corner install, LOL trying to make this mental pic for you all to understand. The real question I have now is, do I need to put radiation shild on the stove pipe, since I cant keep the clearence I origionally planned for? or would the tile and cement board be enough of a radiation shild. keeping in mind the tile runs floor to ceiling. and in order to make this work i am going to have to use the simpson adjustable stove pipe elbows for the rise and offset. I was planning running a strait piece out the stove and then elbow, pice for offset, elbow and strait to chimney support, probally less than 16 inches of pipe, and in close proximity to the corner. The actual stove pipe will be around 8 inches from wall in that short span. any feedback is greatly appreciated. I love working on old houses.

I have looked into the double wall, but the short run I have is going to be less than 12 inches of vertical run at around 8 inches, and I could also get a heat shield for the pipe would that be a safe way of doing this? I already have all the pipe purchased and so on, and i dont believe i can return it. but if I have to go double wall I will, but prefer not to.

I think you would be better off with the double wall too. It takes the "worry" out of what you want to do for just a few extra bucks.

You want everything to look PERFECT when the insurance and zoning inspectors come knocking asking about your new stove/chimney.

Not worth the headache I would think.

Thanks for the quick replies and it all makes sense, and yes you are right in the respect of a few bucks more than to have to deal with a fire issue or so on.. thanks again, I am sure I will be back with more questionsbefore I finish it off. and I will put some pics up of the install as we get into it more extensively this weekend. thanks again...

Status
Not open for further replies.