Stove Pipe Clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

katiek

Jan 31, 2019
Maine
Hi all!

We recently had a quote for having a new wood stove installed with new pipe. We're trying to get it as close to a combustible wall as we can and the wood stove installation company said that it's possible to use single wall pipe closer to the wall than 18". They said that when the pipe is used with a tested and listed stove that it can reduce the clearance for the pipe portion as well. Is there something I am missing? My understanding was that there is a minimum 18" clearance for single wall pipe to combustible wall surface behind it and I am reluctant to move forward!

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Hi all!

We recently had a quote for having a new wood stove installed with new pipe. We're trying to get it as close to a combustible wall as we can and the wood stove installation company said that it's possible to use single wall pipe closer to the wall than 18". They said that when the pipe is used with a tested and listed stove that it can reduce the clearance for the pipe portion as well. Is there something I am missing? My understanding was that there is a minimum 18" clearance for single wall pipe to combustible wall surface behind it and I am reluctant to move forward!

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Yes a stove manufacturer can specify less than 18" for single wall stove pipe. That being said as an installer I won't do it if it is less than 18" I use double wall

Yes a stove manufacturer can specify less than 18" for single wall stove pipe. That being said as an installer I won't do it if it is less than 18" I use double wall

very interesting! would in be in the stove manufacturers manual? I reviewed the manual and under clearances it states the clearances for the stove using a single wall pipe in one category and clearances for single wall pipe in a different category. For the single wall pipe clearance it is listed as 18" to an unprotected surface. is it possible that the info is tucked away somewhere in a different part of the manual?

very interesting! would in be in the stove manufacturers manual? I reviewed the manual and under clearances it states the clearances for the stove using a single wall pipe in one category and clearances for single wall pipe in a different category. For the single wall pipe clearance it is listed as 18" to an unprotected surface. is it possible that the info is tucked away somewhere in a different part of the manual?
If the manual says 18" it is 18" and you should be looking for a new installer

Double wall interior pipe is just a better product in addition to the reduced clearances.

Reactions: BCC_Burner
For what its worth...Even with my stove and connector pipe exceeding the recommended clearance by an inch or two my wall gets pretty warm to the touch (like almost radiator hot).

I could imagine cheating that distance and setting the stove closer to combustable would be very risky.

Double wall pipe is good stuff these days. I would recommend it even when it's not required for clearance because it keeps the flue warmer. Yes it is more expensive but it's a one time cost.