Stove pipe direction unexpected

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Traveler004

Sep 18, 2019
Quebec
20191113_110603.jpg

Hi everyone. This is a photo up my stove pipe. I followed the arrow direction clearly marked "this way up!!!" but it seems illogical to me to have the inner crimpped male ends here on the inside of the inner crimpped female double walled part. I would have designed it to always go smaller as you go up to not let any gas out. But i guess this is to no let any condensation out as it falls back down?

No gas will come out, this is designed to let any liquid creosote drip back towards the stove if it every forms

to my knowledge, all crimped style stove pipe [male ends] should face down towards the stove. this will keep any creosote that may be in the fluid form to stay inside the pipe and not leak out.

Reactions: Traveler004
Over the years I have seen crimped pipes installed crimp up. They made a mess, all sort of brown tar leaking out.

Last edited:
Over the years I have seen crimped pipes installed crimp up. They made mess, all sort of brown tar leaking out.
Gross. I guess the upside is you know the amount of creosote being produced. But dangerous to have it set fire inside ones home :eek:

Creosote is actually hard to burn unless heated. Normally its just a messy housekeeping issue out side a stove pipe or chimney.

Creosote is actually hard to burn unless heated. Normally its just a messy housekeeping issue out side a stove pipe or chimney.
The outside of the stove pipe must get hot enough to ignite it, no?

The outside of the stove pipe must get hot enough to ignite it, no?
It is possible yes but unlikely. It would usually just look like crap smell bad and maybe smoke

It just drips off and makes a mess.

I used to work in pulp mill that made pulp for papermaking. One of the byproducts is black liquor which is basically concentrated creosote (lignin) with some inorganic chemicals mixed in. The black liquor was concentrated to 65% solids and then used for fuel in a recovery boiler. It had to be kept quite hot or it turned into a solid. When there was pipe or a gasket leak it would spray everywhere and set up like small icicles. To clean it up they just aimed a hot water hose at it and let it dilute down. The crews tried hard to keep things clean but it was a constant job. In theory a modern pulp mill can run the entire process on the energy contained in the black liquor.