Stove Pipe Glowing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Yavne

Dec 23, 2019
Nova Scotia
Merry Christmas folks!

We had a small incident a few days ago. I didn't close the air intake in time and the wood stove was very hot. The thermometer showed about 750°F (not sure how accurate it is).
We have double wall stove pipes. The internal part of the pipe that connects to the wall was glowing red:
01.png

After we closed the air intake the temperature went down pretty fast. To ensure all is good we called 911. The firefighters checked the chimney and found no damage.

I disassembled the stove pipe this morning, I think it looks fine, just not sure about the reddish part:
02.png

Does it look normal? The red spots?

Thanks!

If glowing red, the flue temp was over 1000º. It can handle this for short spells. Stainless will change color if exposed to high heat. I'm not sure if this is the source of the reddish color. It looks a bit dented up. Try to get it back to shape.

PS: It's easy to get distracted. This happens to most of us at one time or another. It's a good idea to set a timer that you can carry around as a reminder to turn down the stove. The cellphone clock app is good for this, but a loud and persistent kitchen timer also works well. A better fix is a digital flue thermometer with an alarm.

Reactions: MR. GLO and Yavne
If glowing red, the flue temp was over 1000º. It can handle this for short spells. Stainless will change color if exposed to high heat. I'm not sure if this is the source of the reddish color. It looks a bit dented up. Try to get it back to shape.

PS: It's easy to get distracted. This happens to most of us at one time or another. It's a good idea to set a timer that you can carry around as a reminder to turn down the stove. The cellphone clock app is good for this, but a loud and persistent kitchen timer also works well. A better fix is a digital flue thermometer with an alarm.
Thank you! Yes, I set a timer on my watch, but missed it...
Any recommendations on digital flue thermometer?