Stove Pipe Install Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firewater

Jul 26, 2015
North Dakota
Hello, I recently picked up a United States Stove company model 2007 with a pipe roof mounting kit and two 36” galvanized double walls pipes for pretty cheap. I have been looking on craigslist for awhile for stove to heat my barn in the winter when I work in there as its my shop/garage. Seemed like a good deal for a stove that will see occasional use and wont be used in a home.

After reading some of the information on this site I drew up some planes but still have some questions. My question comes to using the pipe I got and of the two options I see to install it which one you think is better.

Option 1 is going straight up through the roof however the roof pitch is extremely steep. Firstly it will be really hard to work on the roof and second I would have to get a custom flashing piece made. I have also looked at the cost of steel roof mounting kits and they are pretty expensive I am trying to get by cheap here while being safe as this will only see occasional use.
Option_2_real_1.jpg
20151024_171146.jpg
Option_2_real_1.jpg
[/url] free image upload[/IMG]
Option_2_real_1.jpg
[/url] free image upload[/IMG]
20150723_131256.jpg

20151024_205529.jpg

20151024_205835.jpg

Options 2 is going out under the roof through a vertical wall. I would like to use the two sections of double wall pipe if possible and need recommendations on what else I will need. This seems cheaper and better to me however I have never installed stove pipe so need some insight on the design. With either option the roof pitch is an obstacle for clearance going high enough.
Option_1.jpg

Depending on the comments here Ill draw up plans about which pipe Ill use and double check with you guys, thanks for taking the time to read this!

Option 2 as drawn is not quite code by the 10-3-2 rule. The chimney would need to go up until the cap is 10' away from the roof.

Ok well first off you have chimney pipe and stove pipe the galvanized stuff is chimney and the black is stove pipe. As far as which set up to go with straight up will be both better and cheaper. To go straight up you will need a support box and insulation shield then flashing up top possibly a roof support also. To go through the wall you will need a wall pass thru a tee a tee support and a few wall support brackets and a roof support. Either way you will need some more chimney pipe. Straight up will draft better and can usually be cleaned from inside the stove without unhooking any pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.