Stove pipe made pretty

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Greta

Dec 7, 2005
With a lucky discovery at a Habitat Restore, we found that our black stovepipe in the living room didn't have to be ugly. The art is a metal sculpture of gingko leaves that extends from the top of our PE Neo 1.6 wood stove to the ceiling. The sculpture is held off the pipe a couple of inches with a hand made wire bracket and held in place with a band of black felted wool around the stove pipe. The stove has been fired multiple times with no detriment to the sculpture or the wool holding it in place. We have no info on where the sculpture was made or where to get another one. I post this with the thought that making lightweight metal sculptures to decorate stove pipes could be a fun project for a metal artisan. And to raise the concept that stove pipes can add to rather than detract from a room.

wood stove with gingko leaves.jpg

Reactions: one man's kindling
Very nice, can't show my wife, she'll be out shopping.

Reactions: one man's kindling
held in place with a band of black felted wool around the stove pipe.
Wool is combustible. It may not burn immediately, but it will dry out over time and become more vulnerable. Everything must be non-combustible. Replace the felt wool with black wire.

With a lucky discovery at a Habitat Restore, we found that our black stovepipe in the living room didn't have to be ugly. The art is a metal sculpture of gingko leaves that extends from the top of our PE Neo 1.6 wood stove to the ceiling. The sculpture is held off the pipe a couple of inches with a hand made wire bracket and held in place with a band of black felted wool around the stove pipe. The stove has been fired multiple times with no detriment to the sculpture or the wool holding it in place. We have no info on where the sculpture was made or where to get another one. I post this with the thought that making lightweight metal sculptures to decorate stove pipes could be a fun project for a metal artisan. And to raise the concept that stove pipes can add to rather than detract from a room.

Nice. Had a little copper tubing left over from a much earlier project, thought it might add a funky look to the stovepipe. Checked to make sure it didn't lower pipe temps too much, etc., but it seems to aid conductivity a bit and makes me feel better about spending $30 on tubing I never used!
wfwfwstovepiped.png