Stove Pipe to Ceiling Box Connection Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Googenheimer

Jan 29, 2022
South Texas
Hey guys, noob here. I apologize in advance if I use incorrect terminology. I’m replacing an old wood burning stove in a house we purchased a few years ago. The stove and all the pipe was already in place when we purchased the house so I’m not too familiar with the way it was installed. The stove pipe runs straight up about 6’ from the stove and connects to a ceiling support box through the attic and then out the roof. I’m also replacing the 6’ of single-wall stove pipe that runs up to the ceiling.

My question is in regards to the ceiling support box and where the stove pipe connects inside. It appears the support box has a vented ring mounted a couple inches from the opening and 1/4” above the vented ring is the stove pipe that runs up through the attic and out the roof. It looks like it is sort of double walled all the way through the attic and to the roof. If I insert a crimped piece of stove pipe I’m unable to connect it flush to the stove pipe that’s inside the ceiling box. Do I need to have a flush connection between the two pieces of stove pipe? Or am I supposed to leave an air gap between them?

Hopefully, that makes sense and the pictures may help with context.

01.jpg 02.jpeg 03.jpg 04.jpeg 05.jpeg

The whole system looks pretty dated. The chimney pipe looks air-cooled, triple wall which may no longer be approved for wood stove use. bholler, thoughts?

If it were me I would replace the whole system for sure

Well, I’m in South Texas and we really don’t use the wood stove all that much so I kinda hate to have the whole thing replaced, but I may look into it. It did save us last year when we had the statewide power outage with the freezing temps.

In the meantime, if I were to connect a single-wall stove pipe would it need to be flush with the inside stove pipe or would it be ok to have the gap inside the ceiling box?

Well, I’m in South Texas and we really don’t use the wood stove all that much so I kinda hate to have the whole thing replaced, but I may look into it. It did save us last year when we had the statewide power outage with the freezing temps.

In the meantime, if I were to connect a single-wall stove pipe would it need to be flush with the inside stove pipe or would it be ok to have the gap inside the ceiling box?
In order to connect to that chimney safely you need to get the proper chimney to stove pipe adapter. In order to do that you need to figure out what brand it is