Stove placement , new install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MNman2

Nov 30, 2018
MN

So heres the room, sorry if this gets a bit confusing...:) I asked some ? in the fall, but didn't get to this before the snow flew leaving me lots of time to consider the possibilities.
The room is 20 X 22, 12'6 peak height. @ bedrooms off the end I'm standing in, adding addl 20 X 10'6.
I'm trying to decide where to put the stove, and specifically whether stovepipe height matters, as in how much is inside VS outside. I think either location would head adequately as they aren't much different, the main difference would be lots more, or less, inside VS outside pipe. Make sense so far?
So the locations...
Location A., basically straight up from the white lampshade on the left. About 24" from the wall, just over 9 ft from the floor. Plenty of room to move it in, out, or sideways, as needed for clearance or whatever.
Location B., almost straight across, maybe 2 ft towards the far window. The stovepipe would be about 2 feet behind the fan blades, about where the exposed 2X4 is. It would actually be just to the right of the peak in this case.
So more extended exterior pipe in A., more exposed interior pipe in B.
My concerns... both locations are close, central location wise, so that's a wash.
I know exterior pipe is more expensive, but that's not a major concern. Neither is aesthetics to me.

My main questions...can I get by with less pipe, overall height wise, with location A? Thinking stove draft here. And if not, how do I anchor what would be a pretty substantial length of outside pipe, it's a brand new steel roof. With location B, seeing as it exits very near the peak, I assume a very short pipe outside...correct?
Either would be a straight run of pipe...this is preferable, right?
Sorry is this is confusing (and for the mess!) ...welcome to my world!