Stove Recommendations Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HuntingEd

Aug 13, 2010
MD
Hey all. It's been a long time since I was on here... 12 years! Ended up installing a ZC fireplace back then and loved it. Have since moved and finally ready to convert my existing masonry fireplace (gas conversion by previous owners) back to a woodstove and I'm struggling to pick the stove!! When the previous owners converted to propane they actually left the old cast iron Defiant stove in the storage area, so I'm planning to refurb it and have it reinstalled in the basement, assuming its able to be resurrected.

Here's my details:
2-story traditional colonial style house ~2800sf, chimney in center of house, will be installing woodstove on main floor. Open foyer with large fan to circulate heat upstairs. As noted above, I'll have the old stove reinstalled in the basement, could run both stoves in emergency (no power). There are floor grates and basement door would allow heat upstairs. As far as fuel, I have a great supply of well seasoned wood, mostly oak (red/white) some cherry and ash.

Please help me pick the stove for my main floor family room!
Goals/Priorities:
1. Large view of fire
2. EPA tax credit eligible
3. Sufficient heat to warm the house (won't be main source of heat)

Currently looking at the following:
Hearthstone Clydesdale (can't find glass area anywhere), Regency I2500 (smallish view), and Buck Model 91 (not familiar with brand). Also considering Hampton Hi500 but it's the most expensive of the stoves and doesn't qualify for the tax credit, but has a large view of fire.

Also considering something less traditional and putting the Hearthstone Mansfield set on the hearth/in the fireplace.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/recommendations!

So you are thinking hearth mounted free standing stove, correct? What is the lintel height?

That’s the biggest limiting factor for rear vented hearth mounts. Unless i misunderstood.

So you are thinking hearth mounted free standing stove, correct? What is the lintel height?

That’s the biggest limiting factor for rear vented hearth mounts. Unless i misunderstood.
I would prefer an insert, but was considering hearth mounted free standing stove to get the benefits of both larger fire view and EPA credit, but I'm not sure it's the best fit for my room? I'll need to measure the lintel height tonight.

Thanks!

There are many variables. I have a deep set hearth mount stove (interior chimney) and really like it but it does need a blower to really maximize heat, and an insert. I don’t have to run the blower on the stove but do about 50% of the time. You really have to run the blower on the insert.

The buck 91 is huge and will need 8” liner. What size is the flue”.

Plan on Getting an insulated liner and blockoff plate no matter what you choose.

I would prefer an insert, but was considering hearth mounted free standing stove to get the benefits of both larger fire view and EPA credit, but I'm not sure it's the best fit for my room? I'll need to measure the lintel height tonight.

Thanks!
The Clydesdale is an insert. Its performance, operation, and durability are unknown at this point. It is just reentering the market after extensive revisions. The HI500 is the same as the Regency i2700 which has a longer track record. The Buck 91 has been on the market for several years. It's a big workhorse.

What are the full fireplace dimensions? How large is the fireplace room and how open is this room to the rest of the 1st floor? Are there high ceilings?

I am wondering if a freestander would work. Pictures of the fireplace would be helpful, especially if there are mantel clearance issues.

For a large fireview, the Lopi Large Flush insert is nice. The Osburn 3500 and Pacific Energy Summit wood inserts also should be considered.

Reactions: Pinedrop
Thank you!

I think I've now narrowed it down to the Clydesdale or Large Flush as viewing area is a high priority. My ZC was a FireplaceEx and I loved it, great view and could heat most of my house that was similar layout to the current.

I'll check fireplace dimensions tonight.

Of the two, the Lopi has the more established track record.

Reactions: EbS-P
I’ll sell you my used 3 season Clydesdale for $500. Gotta pick it up in northeast pa.

Hey all. It's been a long time since I was on here... 12 years! Ended up installing a ZC fireplace back then and loved it. Have since moved and finally ready to convert my existing masonry fireplace (gas conversion by previous owners) back to a woodstove and I'm struggling to pick the stove!! When the previous owners converted to propane they actually left the old cast iron Defiant stove in the storage area, so I'm planning to refurb it and have it reinstalled in the basement, assuming its able to be resurrected.

Here's my details:
2-story traditional colonial style house ~2800sf, chimney in center of house, will be installing woodstove on main floor. Open foyer with large fan to circulate heat upstairs. As noted above, I'll have the old stove reinstalled in the basement, could run both stoves in emergency (no power). There are floor grates and basement door would allow heat upstairs. As far as fuel, I have a great supply of well seasoned wood, mostly oak (red/white) some cherry and ash.

Please help me pick the stove for my main floor family room!
Goals/Priorities:
1. Large view of fire
2. EPA tax credit eligible
3. Sufficient heat to warm the house (won't be main source of heat)

Currently looking at the following:
Hearthstone Clydesdale (can't find glass area anywhere), Regency I2500 (smallish view), and Buck Model 91 (not familiar with brand). Also considering Hampton Hi500 but it's the most expensive of the stoves and doesn't qualify for the tax credit, but has a large view of fire.

Also considering something less traditional and putting the Hearthstone Mansfield set on the hearth/in the fireplace.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/recommendations!
I sell and install wood stoves on a daily basis (and have for many years). From my experience the Osburn Stoves are the best on the market, especially when you are considering price and availability of parts and customer support from the manufacturer. I have attached a link to the insert that will heat your entire home, has large viewing area, and is eligible for the EPA tax credit.

Last edited by a moderator: