Stove replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baldguy0722

Dec 13, 2014
northwest iowa
I am going to replace the Vermont castings encore that was in the house that is uncontrollable due to neglect by the previous owner (don't trust unit). Gonna go with a jotul f400 or pacific energy alderlea t4. The existing old chimney was relived in 95 with 8" and I am thinking do I just replace the liner since it is 8 I am not against replacing the liner as I want to do it correct. Thoughts?

Why is the old one uncontrollable? Despite some issues with VC, if you already have one you might want to see why your having troubles with it before replacing it entirely. I mean, unless you just have the extra cash to spend on a new stove. Regarding a new stove, if the new ones require a 6in flue then connecting it to an 8in flue could possibily cause some problems. but there are alot of factors that go into this. 1)How tall is the chimney? 2) Is the current 8in liner insulated? 3) how many horizontal sections, and how long are they, and how many turns(90,45 etc)?

What issues are you having with the encore? If you can give some more detailed information we might be able to help you diagnose your problem and get it resolved vice spending a few grand on a new stove.

If given the option, you will want to size the liner to the stove. Both stoves you mentioned takes a 6" - so yes, you are in line with the change over to 6" liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.