Stove shoppping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Keninmaine

Jan 2, 2023
Coastal Maine
I could use some advice. I went to a couple shops and sticker shock lack of inventory hit me. Lots of large stoves. I need a secondary back up. I like to take the chill off when it is Under 20°F. Glass front and 6” stack are the constraints. Less maintenance is primo. I am not seeing Vogelzang or Englander in shops. What low end stoves should I look at? Ordering from Tractor sounds scary. But it might be my route.

6K for a nice insert ugh. I will sell or rent in x number of years think It might be wise to retain the fireplace as is. 2K doesn’t get you much of a freestanding stove, so thinking I need to look at budget burners.

Why don’t any dealers stock low end stuff? 1500 low end I got old 😂

Tell us more about your needs. How many sq ft will the stove be heating? Are we talking a freestanding stove or an insert installation? What is currently existing to connect the stove to?

Reactions: Keninmaine
I could use some advice. I went to a couple shops and sticker shock lack of inventory hit me. Lots of large stoves. I need a secondary back up. I like to take the chill off when it is Under 20°F. Glass front and 6” stack are the constraints. Less maintenance is primo. I am not seeing Vogelzang or Englander in shops. What low end stoves should I look at? Ordering from Tractor sounds scary. But it might be my route.

6K for a nice insert ugh. I will sell or rent in x number of years think It might be wise to retain the fireplace as is. 2K doesn’t get you much of a freestanding stove, so thinking I need to look at budget burners.

There simply isn't enough profit margin in the lower end stoves for smaller dealers to cover costs.

Blue encore is what I am using. 6” flue 15’ or so. Vertical. I have have 1500sq ft. Half that is open to the stove. Freestanding. Not a fan of tiny fireboxes.

The Drolet 1800 Escape & True North TN20,

This makes sense. I can self install. You must see some decent low end stoves or do budget types Buy their own brush?
Yeah I work on plenty of cheaper stoves. I have installed quite a few as well

Those are both nice suggestions thank you. Is there a file of safe online vendors on this forum? MFP?
I would say drolet and true north are the 2 best value brands available now. Englander was just bought by sbi who makes drolet. So I am sure their stoves will continue to be a good option as well. Most of US stove companys (who makes vogelzang) steel stoves are fine but I would pick sbi or true north above them if at all possible

Is there a file of safe online vendors on this forum? MFP?
Bingo...free shipping too...its basically the SBI company store.

I feel your pain on pricing. I have looked at Lopi stoves, and I like the Evergreen, but dealers want min: $3595, and they will not sell outside of their servicing area. One dealer wants $5800! I can’t find a dealer close by to me, zip 32507. I’ve been searching for Chimney Sweeps, contractors and anyone able to install a stove, and nothing. Most people either do a DIY or have inserts w ventless gas logs. Yuk!

I am beginning to feel like my project is going to take a depressing turn. My husband used a $99 Roses dept store cast stove many years ago at Ft. Bragg NC and he said it was “sufficient and hot, made me feel good.” Scary to me! If I don’t find a good affordable stove soon, I could be facing a similar experinece!

Well I have a free standing non cat, low maintenance Pacific Energy Vista with the leg option and paid $2,300. I got a heck of a stove, made in Canada. not China, glass front, tremendous heat output the heats both floors of our 1,900 sq ft cape. My family loves it.