Stove Suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cdeyoung59

Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
So I have been hearing with wood for 3 years now I have a one story ranch with a woodstove in the basement. I have a couple of floor vents and I have one for register that I ran a duct fan to to help bring the heat upstairs other than up the stairs itself. I have roughly a 2400 square-foot house that I’m trying to eat and I’m looking to upgrade to something more efficient than this hungry creosote machine. Any brands you recommend or ones that you suggest avoiding ? I’m looking at bk 40, PE summit le, or ht-3000 ? Anyone run these? Love them hate them? Overall burn times?

60466B7B-31EB-47C2-922D-2F83A24CA3DB.jpeg

Both stoves are good and have many positive reviews and threads on them. The burn time is totally relative to the way the stove is run and what it is heating. This will also depend on the space. Are the basement walls fully insulated?

What is behind the brick wall surrounding the hearth? Is it block or wood studs? What does the stove pipe connect to, metal chimney or masonry chimney and what is the ID of the chimney?

Basement walls are mostly insulated behind that brick is cinderblock and another room the pipe leads out to a chimney that has a stainless steel pipe inside of it or liner I suppose. It probably goes up 20 feet from where it goes in at

You could check out the HearthStone stoves. They qualify for the 26% tax credit and many of them have soapstone to help extend the warming time (soapstone absorbs heat from the fire and releases it slowly). Most of them are side-load stoves, so you'd need to consider the clearance for opening the door. The soapstone stoves have a very particular look to them - I think they look cool, but my wife doesn't. I had wanted to get one of these, but we don't have room in the alcove where our new install will go. We considered BK and Kuma as well. Both of those companies have stoves that qualify for the tax credit.

Basement walls are mostly insulated behind that brick is cinderblock and another room the pipe leads out to a chimney that has a stainless steel pipe inside of it or liner I suppose. It probably goes up 20 feet from where it goes in at
Then both would work well. The BK 40 is large and needs an 8" stovepipe and liner. The HT3000 uses a 6" round flue. The BK will burn longer on low and qualifies for the 26% tax credit. The HT3000 has a higher top end heat and if you can get it for under $1500, it put cash in savings right in the pocket. There are also the Drolet Myriad III and Legend III that have a big firebox and good performance.

I just remembered that Home Depot carries Englander stoves that are supposed to heat up to 2400sq ft. They aren't eligible for the 26% credit, but they aren't as expensive as the stoves that do, either:

And there's a smaller one as well:

The Englander 32-NC is an update on a proven design and a good workhorse. I am uncertain about the 15-W08. It's predecessor had issues with door warping. We haven't seen reports on the newer replacement yet.

what is the ID of the chimney?
You need to decide If you are replacing flue or not. Probably means determining the current condition. Not many new stoves run on an 8”. Then decide if the tax credit is important. the BK would be my choice IF I had a good 8” liner and it was interior chimney or at least class A at some point. They recommend an insulated liner. Tax credit could be taken on total cost of the install.