Stove surface temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

techsol

Apr 8, 2008
NW Connecticut
Can anyone tell me what temperature the exterior(top) of a typical stove get sto in normal operation? I'm out of pellets for this year and wanted to get a temp sensor but don't know what range would be enough for a recorder I want to get. the one I'm looking at goes to 258 degrees but I didn't know if that was a touch low.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Dick said:
Can anyone tell me what temperature the exterior(top) of a typical stove get sto in normal operation? I'm out of pellets for this year and wanted to get a temp sensor but don't know what range would be enough for a recorder I want to get. the one I'm looking at goes to 258 degrees but I didn't know if that was a touch low.

Thoughts?

Thanks
You might have to specify the type of stove as they all will vary. Also, where you are wanting to "shoot" the temp. Sorry I cant help.

I can't give you an exact answer, but I suspect 258* F would probably be high enough... certainly for mid to lower feed/temp settings. I know these things don't run anywhere nearly as hot as wood stoves do. I have an Englander stove and I don't recall water ever boiling on it (we place scented water on the stove), although I never run it wide open.

What's the next heat range they come in after 258?

That's my problem the data logger I'm going to use has sensors up to 125 c (258F) but not higher. I'm converting a Avalon to water jackets to tap off to my hydronic system. :cheese:

Thanks for the info

Dick

are you talking about doing this with a pellet or wood stove?

I think you will have a hard time bring the water up to temp if you are talking about wrapping the body of the stove the stove body temps are very low and to try and heat the water with the body would be pretty tough the air is pushed by blowers threw heat exchangers to keep away from most of the body becareful to not bring the body temp up to high and start the hopper on fire.

Actually I'm removing and changing the pellet hopper to a larger external source and feed. The air exchanger is going to be water filled tubes with external water jacks. All feeding an external storage tank

I've checked mine with an infrared temp senser I bought at China Freight ( I mean Harbor Freight ). I never had a reading go over 120* on the top surface and about 140* on the front and about 250* just inside the vent opening. This is all on my Harman XXV.

Rick.

just a thought you may want to becareful if something goes wrong the insurances company may not cover the damage for something like this.

Appreciate the concerns. I'm keeping all the factory interlocks and safety devices . Adding in a pressure valve, aquastat control and few other things. Safety has to be a upfront consideration, for the family and house!

Thanks Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.