Stove temps, Rate of fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbjshark

Nov 12, 2006
Rock Hall , MD
Hello all, I have Hearthstone Phoenix Stove. Recently I've upgraded my chimney setup from an exterior block chimney to an interior Class A chimney 14' straight up. After the initial startup I've noticed a tremendous difference in heat output and draft that I haven't been used to over the past couple of seasons. My questions is, after loading on a bed of hot coals and cutting back air intake more than 1/2 to 3/4, will regulating the burn lower the stove's top temperature? The temps usually will maintain 400 to 425 even when it's cut back. Is this normal for the stones to stay in this range?The gaskets were replaced last year, no signs of wear yet. Will usually get 3 to 4 hour burn times on 2 to 3 pieces of wood. Anyone help/input would be greatly appreciated.

jbjshark said:
Hello all, I have Hearthstone Phoenix Stove. Recently I've upgraded my chimney setup from an exterior block chimney to an interior Class A chimney 14' straight up. After the initial startup I've noticed a tremendous difference in heat output and draft that I haven't been used to over the past couple of seasons. My questions is, after loading on a bed of hot coals and cutting back air intake more than 1/2 to 3/4, will regulating the burn lower the stove's top temperature? The temps usually will maintain 400 to 425 even when it's cut back. Is this normal for the stones to stay in this range?The gaskets were replaced last year, no signs of wear yet. Will usually get 3 to 4 hour burn times on 2 to 3 pieces of wood. Anyone help/input would be greatly appreciated.

I have an interior straight shot of selkirk for my vaulted ceiling (total about 18')
Most times the air is cut back 65-75% and I will see toasty warm temps between 450-500.
In the deep winter nights I'll let the Oslo rip wide open to about 600 and then pinch her down to a nice steady inferno.

WoodButcher

thanks for the reply WOODBUTCHER, I believe that I've been stoking the stove just a bit too much for this time of year, It was around 37 for the low last night and highs in 50's. The temp in the living room last night was around 85! Boy was the wife complaining. I guess I've been too anxious and wanting to see that secondary burn. Maybe I shouldn't be burning the osage orange and locust yet either.

jbjshark said:
thanks for the reply WOODBUTCHER, I believe that I've been stoking the stove just a bit too much for this time of year, It was around 37 for the low last night and highs in 50's. The temp in the living room last night was around 85! Boy was the wife complaining. I guess I've been too anxious and wanting to see that secondary burn. Maybe I shouldn't be burning the osage orange and locust yet either.

Nothing wrong with getting a little anxious. I've been burning caps, junk and scrap pieces for quick heat. Come thanksgiving time, I'm usually breaking out
the big chunks of oak and hickory.

WoodButcher

Yeah JBJ, you might wanna back off of the mega btu wood. If ya got some lesser stuff seasoned for this years burn, I would grab an arm load of that. Keep in mind that you can run a smaller fire, just make sure your temp stays up. It will get cold soon enough. ;-P

My Mansfield choked back 75%+ maintains surface temps of 400 - 500 degrees (usually the lower end of that range). Sounds like you got it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.