Stove thermometers - which type?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scotland

Feb 8, 2013
Hi,

Found this site whilst googling to answer my question, so thought I may as well just ask!

I have just got a 5kw Woodwarm stove (not sure if you get those outside the UK?)

The suppliers gave me a Stovax thermometer which, after a week of being mounted on the top front of the stove body, I realised was a stovepipe thermometer not a stovetop one. I realise now that they are calibrated differently.

The stove manual recommends mounting a thermometer on the stove body, so I guess I need to get a different one. I also only have slightly less than 1 foot of single wall stovepipe exposed, and it is angled back and to the right, so it is impossible to mount the pipe thermometer truly level, which I find visually annoying!

I presume something like the Condar stovetop thermometer would be ok? This would comply with the manufacturers recommendation, and be more aesthetically pleasing.

Any thoughts?

(It's 4.45am here and I'm just in from work so I'm off to bed and will check back tomorrow).

Thanks

Joe

I've been very happy with the Condar's I have owned, they even make one in in Celsius if you prefer.

stove_top_international.jpg

pen

I wish I hadn't seen this post! He he... I just installed my condar 'inferno' stovetop thermometer which works really well and is quite accurate (tested in my stove). I'm in Canada and would have ordered the celcius if I knew it existed :)

I've been very happy with the Condar's I have owned, they even make one in in Celsius if you prefer.

stove_top_international.jpg

pen

Reactions: pen
I also can recommend the condar. We've tried others but they were never any where near accurate.

The stove top or the flue thermometer should be the same except if they have marks for burning range. When we had those types, I paid not attention to their recommendations. I know where we want the flue temperature and also the stove top temperature and that is what we go by.

Condar

It's more than praise, it's the materials.

My last rutland is at work so I can't take a picture (the others in the garbage), but the real reason I feel that the condars are superior to many on the market is the size of their bimetallic strip; which is so much more, well, sizeable than the competition.

I know pics speak, but I can't do it right now. But essentially, the competition's bimetallic strip is smaller than a US dime, where the Condar's is well better than a US quarter.

In this venue, as many, size matters.

pen

I've got 3 or 4 of the woodstock supplied stove top thermometer and they seem to be pretty consistant from one to another. I've placed a rutland brand thermometer next to a woodstock and the rutland read amost 150F different. I don't know for sure but It's possible the woodstock version is made by Condor they look similar.

I've got 3 or 4 of the woodstock supplied stove top thermometer and they seem to be pretty consistant from one to another. I've placed a rutland brand thermometer next to a woodstock and the rutland read amost 150F different. I don't know for sure but It's possible the woodstock version is made by Condor they look similar.

They are made by condar

Status
Not open for further replies.