stove Thermometers ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce

Nov 20, 2005
long pond pa
what is a good Thermometer for a free standing unit? should it be on the unit or the pipe?
what about the ones with the probe for flue gas?

bruce said:
what is a good Thermometer for a free standing unit? should it be on the unit or the pipe?
what about the ones with the probe for flue gas?

I use a magnetic thermometer on the pipe. About eye level, I know it reads 200* cooler than when placed on the stove top. I like the fact I don't have to get my lazy butt off the couch to read it from a distance. Something I can't do when its on the stove top.

For the Exception, it looks like a stack thermometer would work best. The magnetic style should be ok if there is a single wall stack. If double-wall, get a probe.

BeGreen,

Which one do you use for the 3CB and where do you use it? I am installing a 3CB once I figure a few more things out. I will have a stove pipe going out the back and my lazy butt will have to get up either way. I could use the exercise.

I'd be interested in how the folks with inserts get readings.

Warren said:

Ditto. Especially if someone is using a probe with an insert. Someone said earlier that they place the thermometer on the front grill above the doors, but I was wondering what other choices I might have with my flush insert.

I think the correct answer is probably to look at your stove owners manual and follow the thermometer recommendations found there. My Jotul Oslo just has me use a magnetic thermometer stuck in the corner on top. No fuss. no muss, cheap.

Warren said:

I have a Rutland magnetic thermometer on my insert. Its placed in the center (left to right) and back about 4" into the surround. This way it is not above any of the air wash tubes that go forward to the door, and it is pretty close to the flue. Plus, its on a single walled part of the stove. I mounted it "upside-down," so that the shield on the bottom of the thermometer faces inward, and blocks air flow across the thermometer. I found this almost eliminates the large drop in temperature reading that I got when the fan was on, vs. when it was off.

-- Mike

wahoowad said:
BeGreen,

Which one do you use for the 3CB and where do you use it? I am installing a 3CB once I figure a few more things out. I will have a stove pipe going out the back and my lazy butt will have to get up either way. I could use the exercise.

My stove is rear-vented. I have an old SandHill thermometer placed on the top of the stove to the right of center. Pretty much where the manual recommends it. Unfortunately, SandHill no longer has my style, though maybe if we all pester them, they will consider commissioning a revival model.

Attachments

• 3CB_stovetop.jpg
    3CB_stovetop.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,103
I bought one of these Homesaver stove thermometers online. Now that I have it I see it has temps greater than 465 as "Too Hot." I thought 500 was a good operating temperature?

Attachments

• HS-Stove-Thermometer.jpg
    HS-Stove-Thermometer.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 950
I would check you stove operator manual and follow those guidelines,both for thermometer placement and desireable operating tem peratures. I have the same thermometer and regularly run my Jotul between 550 and 700.

yeah my magnetic thermometer lists 650 as overfire. but my manual says get the stove up to 600 before engagning the cats. I have the new stove combustors so I engage at 400. I place the thermometer on the only single wall spot I could find. ront near the top. I run the temp up to 400 and engage the cats. I'd like to get a probe thermometer some time soon but that'st gonna have to wait......I burn wood onthe cheap. digital thermometer is 100 bucks. that's 1/4 of the investment I have in this used stove.

chrisN said:
I would check you stove operator manual and follow those guidelines,both for thermometer placement and desireable operating tem peratures. I have the same thermometer and regularly run my Jotul between 550 and 700.

Yep, that's one reason why I am not partial to the newer thermometers. The safe/not safe scales are arbitrary and at times entirely misleading. I also don't like that most don't have protective glass and very sticky, exposed temp indicators.

Status
Not open for further replies.