Stove too tall for opening of fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nathan a

Sep 15, 2017
Groton ma
Hi everyone , first time on here I read a lot of the posts people put up but I never signed up . Well any ways I went to my Local woodstove dealer and he sold me a Jøtul f4 Castine . I told him that my opening was 27 1/2” high by 29 1/2” wide so he walked me over to the Jøtul and said this would fit like a glove . I got a pretty good deal because there was some scratches on the paint but anyhow I brought it back home flipped the baffle around and the 6” opening for my t to connect to the back of the stove will not for the stove is actually 2” to tall . I was and still an pissed . I will be calling them tomorrow and letting them know that I took there word and essentially screwed myself . So I don’t want to lug it back out moving it the first time was enough for me . Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do ? I was thinking about cutting the legs but I also don’t want the stove rocking back and forth if the cut is slightly crooked. Any help would be great thanks..

Hi everyone , first time on here I read a lot of the posts people put up but I never signed up . Well any ways I went to my Local woodstove dealer and he sold me a Jøtul f4 Castine . I told him that my opening was 27 1/2” high by 29 1/2” wide so he walked me over to the Jøtul and said this would fit like a glove . I got a pretty good deal because there was some scratches on the paint but anyhow I brought it back home flipped the baffle around and the 6” opening for my t to connect to the back of the stove will not for the stove is actually 2” to tall . I was and still an pissed . I will be calling them tomorrow and letting them know that I took there word and essentially screwed myself . So I don’t want to lug it back out moving it the first time was enough for me . Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do ? I was thinking about cutting the legs but I also don’t want the stove rocking back and forth if the cut is slightly crooked. Any help would be great thanks..

Hi Nathan, welcome, a picture would be very helpful for something like this. Any chance of that? Oddly enough Jotel lists the height at 28.5" high.

They offer a short leg kit for that unit. Effectively lowering the stove by 2.5 inches. That might be enough wiggle room to get the unit under your lintel.

Reactions: begreen