Stove top temp vs. face of stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gusguy

Jul 15, 2017
Northern WI
So we installed an fp30 this year and are really liking it so far. My question is since I can't accurately measure stove top temps I'm wondering if there's a difference between top temps and face temps. I'm cruising between 550 and 600 measured on the face, center above the door with my IR gun. Wondering if anyone with a summit could give me some form of reference. Also wondering how low is too low for temps. Can I just toss a couple splits in if I'm going to be around for a day so it's not 80 in the stove room all the time?

Hayward! Go up there once or twice a year to Grindstone.

I've been wondering the same myself lately. Don't have your unit, but with my insert, I just measured with my IR gun 360 on the face and 222 on the convection jacket where a stove top thermo would be. Now, that isn't a true stove top measurement since there's the convection jacket around it. My assumption is that there isn't a huge difference between face vs stove top.

In terms of splits, I like to add at least 3. They need to radiate heat off each other to sustain a good fire.

I measured the Buck 91 on the front, about where I thought the actual stove top intersected the front. When I would open the door and shoot the inside of the stove top, it was about 200* hotter. Not sure if any of that was accurate but it kinda made sense..
009.JPG

Hayward is a beautiful area. It gets pretty busy in the summer but it's still a great area to live in. I've been caught up with trying to keep the temps up so the flue stays clean but that meant most likely putting in more wood than necessary which also means an uncomfortably hot stove room. If I'm running around 400 with a few splits every couple hours is that going to gunk up the flue?

It does get busy in the summer because of people like me and my family. We try to hit town during the week to avoid the crowds.

I like to get to at least 500 on mine, but the real tell is this. Do you see smoke coming out the flue outside? Burn it at 400 and see. If you don’t see smoke, you’re getting a clean burn so gunking up the flue becomes much less a worry.

Did this drill a couple of times years ago with my old insert. A mag thermo on the front of the stove was consistently 100-150 degrees lower than stove top temp on the top plate.

I can't complain about tourism in the area. Building lake homes for part time residents is what keeps food on the table. Some people around here complain about the tourists but they don't quite realize what tourism does for the area. So if I'm cruising around 550-600 on the face I'm at the top of where I want to be. Thanks.