Stove top temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wizards8507

Nov 7, 2016
CT
Hello again. I've been burning in my new insert for about two weeks and we're starting to get the hang of it. However, we're struggling to get the thermometer into the target zone of 400 - 650 for very long. Hoping you guys can help me diagnose the problem, if there is one.

• Insert - Hampton HI300
  • Finish - Porcelain enamel
  • Wood - Mix of hardwoods, testing 15% to 18% relative humidity on freshly split surfaces
  • Heat output - 85 in family room, 70 in kitchen, 62 upstairs (2,200 sq. ft. home)
  • Burn times - Four hours for a full load during the day. Some coals left after overnight burns of 9+ hours
  • Thermometer - Condar Inferno placed on the center of the insert where it sticks out from the fireplace
With the heat this thing is putting out, I think it's much more likely that my temperatures are actually good and it's my measuring of the temperature with the thermometer that's off somehow.

Does the manual recommend a place to put the thermometer? An IR gun would help determine the spot to put it, maybe you can borrow one if you don't have one?

Does the manual recommend a place to put the thermometer? An IR gun would help determine the spot to put it, maybe you can borrow one if you don't have one?
The manual doesn't mention a thermometer at all. The magnet won't hold on the enamel finish on any vertical surface so the top is the only place it'll stay.

If you're stove room is 85 I think you're likely getting all of the heat out of it you should. You also will probably only see peak temps for a relatively short time frame during the burn. For reference, I usually see my stove top get to 550-650 after a full reload and it'll stay there for a few hours. It then stays in the 400-500 range for a much longer time.

Yes, it sounds like the insert is heating well, but the heat is trapped in the family room.

Status
Not open for further replies.