Stove top temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oldspark said:
BeGreen said:
fjord said:
No need for extra data....unless it's fun. The stoves are engineered for stove TOP temps for use.
Flue temperatures should be much higher than the stove surface for combustion of exhaust gases.

With a modern stove, if it's burning right, the flue temp is often lower than the stove top. If not, it's wasting heat up the flue. Typically, except on startup, we will see flue temps about 100 to 200 degrees under the stove top temp on the T6. It was similar on the Castine.

I would be concerned if when the stove is burning at 650-700, the flue was sitting at 800-900 degrees for an extended period. It could mean that the baffle was being bypassed and the flame was going directly up the back of the stove to the flue.
I am mainly talking about start up and after a new load has been put in, I assume that you understood that, after the fire has settled in I see the stove top temp higher that the flue but that is not the case on a reload or start up. I am not an idiot although I have played one in the past. :)

Haven't we all ?

And no, I never assume nothing , E.B. White excused. ( Past D.I. instructions to self-proclaimed hotshot ROTC Ranger trainees: "....never 'assume', you make an ass- of u- AND me- ........sir." )

So, looks like we have a few opinions here. I guess that should come as no suprise. This site is a wealth of information. Wonder what the sum total of burn time for all involved is, must be in the thousands of years. :)

How far up from the flu collar should the probe hole be ? I have about 6" and then there is a 45 elbow. Should it be before or after the elbow ?

If I have read these posts right , it seems that the critical time to watch flu gas temp is at startup- before the stove is backed down and then at reload. These are the times when the flu temp would be higher than suface temp. Is this because secondary combustion is occurring and the gas is burning again instead of going out ?

Recomended 18 inches up from stove for thermometer but you could fudge on that somewhat.
Flue temps higher on startup and reload because secondaries are not coming into play yet as you have primary air open, stove may not be hot enough for them to function yet, allowing the flue temps to rise much faster that the stove top.

oldspark said:
BLIMP said:
be4 the elbow
Does it make that much of a difference on a elbow that close to the stove?
dunno but once the pipe goes horizontal it has better surface area for heatloss

oldspark said:
Recomended 18 inches up from stove for thermometer but you could fudge on that somewhat.
Flue temps higher on startup and reload because secondaries are not coming into play yet as you have primary air open, stove may not be hot enough for them to function yet, allowing the flue temps to rise much faster that the stove top.

+1 . . . on both the height and when you would tend to see higher flue temps.

oldspark said:
BLIMP said:
oldspark said:
BLIMP said:
be4 the elbow
Does it make that much of a difference on a elbow that close to the stove?
dunno but once the pipe goes horizontal it has better surface area for heatloss
Good point! Funky reading on a horizontal pipe.
Kinda old thread, but sniffing through the forum for info I came upon this exchange and have a question. If the magnetic thermometer was placed only inches from the back of the stove on the horizontal pipe would this give a more true reading than having it 18" or more away from the stove? ...or would the heat of the stove itself come into play and muddy up the temp reading?

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.