Stove top thermometers & probes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

O Never Done

Mar 21, 2018
Upstate NY
Dear Members. We have installed a Morso 8142 and it’s working out nicely in our home. We are new to wood burning and are loving it. It will long term be only supplemental heat. Right now it is our primary heat until new system is installed.

Question. How do burn most efficiently. The morsoe has a control lever, I have kept it mostly open and feed wood as needed. When I try to lower the air flow it seems like I have to adjust it too often as the flames end up disappearing if I lower airflow too much or if too little it burns nearly the same as full air.

Should I get a thermometer? My stove pipe is double wall, so I’m not sure how to get effective readings. Do I need a probe installed or should I just burn by feel?

Should I just adjust the airflow every 20-30 minutes?

Attachments

• 0D36A6F9-7833-4693-AE2B-4D7B231DB439.jpeg
    0D36A6F9-7833-4693-AE2B-4D7B231DB439.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 114
Looks like it could use a few more pieces of wood. With a good fire and more wood you should be able turn down the air in increments once the fire is burning well. Turn it down until the flames get lazy, then wait 5-10 minutes for the flames to regain strength. Then turn it down some more until the flames get lazy again. At this point some billowing flames may start to appear above the wood. This is secondary combustion occurring.

Very pretty stove you got there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can get an insertion probe for your double wall stove pipe. You just drill a 1/4" hole 18" above the stove and stick in the probe (takes about 1 minute). They usually have a magnet to hold it tight against the stove pipe. It won't leak smoke since the chimney is under negative pressure from the draft.
I find mine useful since I like to geek out a bit.

Dear Members. We have installed a Morso 8142 and it’s working out nicely in our home. We are new to wood burning and are loving it. It will long term be only supplemental heat. Right now it is our primary heat until new system is installed.

Question. How do burn most efficiently. The morsoe has a control lever, I have kept it mostly open and feed wood as needed. When I try to lower the air flow it seems like I have to adjust it too often as the flames end up disappearing if I lower airflow too much or if too little it burns nearly the same as full air. In general you need to bring the stove up to temp and then you can start reducing the amount of air. Keeping the air control open will result in more heat going up the chimney and a faster burn rate. As for how soon you can reduce the air control . . . there are many variables such as the draft, how well seasoned the wood is, etc. I recommend reducing the air by a quarter every 10 or 15 minutes and watching to see what the fire does -- if the fire continues to burn well or picks up a bit after that time, reduce the air another quarter . . . if the fire sputters out and seems to die then I would recommend opening the air for a bit longer.

Should I get a thermometer? My stove pipe is double wall, so I’m not sure how to get effective readings. Do I need a probe installed or should I just burn by feel? Probe style thermometer . . . I rely very heavily on my Condar thermometer to know when and when not to dial back the air.

Should I just adjust the airflow every 20-30 minutes? Depends more on the temp rather than time.

A probe thermometer is probably your best bet. It helps with visualizing the quality of the burn. As you start using it, you'll also get a feel for what the fire looks like and you'll get a good sense for things.

Also, 3 or 4 pieces of wood minimum helps.