Stove with top load, glass door, and ash bin?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lmoore1127

Jan 17, 2019
st louis
Currently have a Harmon TL200 Exception and really like it. We are building a new house and looking for something similar. Harmon no longer makes anything similar. The features we really like are the top load, glass door, and ash bin for easy removal of ashes. Desire efficient unit. Cost conscious - Want good quality not the cheapest but good value. We are located in the midwest.

There are a couple stoves that fit this description, Vermont Castings Encore and Jotul F50. Of the two, the Jotul should be lower maintenance.

How large will the house be and how open is the floorplan? Word of advice, consider other stoves that don't have the top load feature. It will open up a lot more options.

Why no top loader. Personally after having both I wouldn't own anything else

I 2nd that.. i have a top loading stove.. wouldn't go any other way.. I have Harwood floors and a stone hearth. Neather feel so good on the knees

I 2nd that.. i have a top loading stove.. wouldn't go any other way.. I have Harwood floors and a stone hearth. Neather feel so good on the knees
Totally agree. We use our stove for secondary heat. But mostly for the ambiance it offers. I think that if I had to dispose of the ashes in the "old way" and had to wrangle wood into the firebox, I'd be less likely to make the time. What make/model do you have?

There are a couple stoves that fit this description, Vermont Castings Encore and Jotul F50. Of the two, the Jotul should be lower maintenance.

How large will the house be and how open is the floorplan? Word of advice, consider other stoves that don't have the top load feature. It will open up a lot more options.

Thank you for the tips. It's an open floor plan and the wood stove will be in a walkout finished basement. Not using it for primary heat but as a background for reading/TV and social times.

Top loaders and ash bins take a lot of the hassel out of wood stoves. As I age, it just works better for me. What make/model do you have?
I've had top loaders and front loaders and quite honestly I don't miss the top loading feature as much as I thought I would. I only load the stove 2 or 3 times a day and having a large capacity firebox that loads N/S is a bigger benefit, IMO. It's not a hassle and I am a geezer. Top loading stoves are more complex and as I age, KISS becomes more important because I am the one that has to fix something if it breaks and maintain it so that it doesn't.

Totally agree. We use our stove for secondary heat. But mostly for the ambiance it offers. I think that if I had to dispose of the ashes in the "old way" and had to wrangle wood into the firebox, I'd be less likely to make the time. What make/model do you have?

I have a VC encore 2040.. i have been using it as my primary heat.. love it..long burn time and it kicks out some heat

On my 2nd TL300. Local dealer here has them
You've given me an idea...will check out dealers who may have New/old stock of Harman Wood Stoves. And I will research the difference between the TL 200 and TL 300.
We live in the St. Louis area...but will travel to obtain what we are looking for.
Anyone out there who may know of dealers who may have the top loading wood stove with the ash bin and glass window...PLEASE let me know!

Have you sold the current house yet? If I really loved the stove I'd consider buying a cheap (but good) stove and just install it and take the other one with you.

Gotta Have It Pools in Flemington. When I was in there a month ago for a fire brick I asked if the had a 300 open I could look at. Gal said they were crated up. Could have been lying. SOS Stoves in Hackettstown also carries Harmon.

Agree 100%.

Nice features but should be not a deal breaker.