Stovepipe Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bowhunter3714

Dec 6, 2007
Missouri
1. I was wondering if this thermometer i bought, (Vogelzang) model TG-01 for stove pipe will still give an acceracate reading if just layed on top of the stove?
2. how far up the pipe from the stove is the thermometer placed?
3. Package reads, pipe temp 50 to 230 causes creosote, 231 to 475 operating efficiently, and 476 to 900 degrees is weasting energy/overheating/could cause fire. What are the three degree ranges for the stove itself?
4. I plan to put up some pics when I'm done, Max Size:350 KB, can someone tell me how I am to figure out the pic size of my pictures?

I already bought a new stove. Going to start on the floor and walls in a couple of weeks and hopefully have the stove fired up by mid January. Should have put my Hoyt down and installed it already with this freezing rain/ice storm passing through the Ozarks. Thanks.

You should calibrate your thermometer. I had one that was new out of the box and my old one read 400 while the new one read 200. I have three thermometers all same brand and up to 200 they are close but 250 and up the all read different. Also I find the stove top is usall about double of the stack temp. placement is approx. 18 inches above stove collar. Good Luck

Bow, what kind of stove pipe connector do you have (single/double walled, vertical/horizontal, etc)?

I keep one on my connector pipe (single-walled, horizontal) about 8" back from the collar. It's a good near real-time indicator of what the stove is putting out, whereas the one sitting on the top of the stove (thick cast iron) is much slower to react to changes. So for example, when the pile is burned down to coals and I go to reload w/ fresh splits, the stove-top thermometer is going to read 250 at first and slowly rise. The stovepipe thermometer is going to rocket up quickly to 500+ very quickly due to the vigorous fire. Over time the two start to average out, but other events like closing the bypass and starting secondary combustion will throw them out of sync as one would expect.

I checked my thermometers against a neighbors digital point heat gun and they were within 10 degrees. If you have one of these guns or knows someone with one borrow it and check it against that.

Thanks for the info. I still need to buy the pipe. It will run up through the ceiling.

I don't know anyony with one of those heat guns.

Could I just preheat my oven to 400 degrees then set it inside on rack for 30 min or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.