Strange wind caps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Anyone ever see any wind caps like these? They are clay, but appear to be on copper vents in this case - at the top of a MT in Vermont, so I assume they do the job for wind!

(note: this post is also for confirming that pics will now display as thumnails, hopefully keeping the board a bit cleaner).

Attachments

• windcaps.jpg
    windcaps.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 941
Reactions: Fod01
Hi Craig

I've seen caps like these, but in Europe (Germany and Austria to be exact), but the one's I saw looked to be mostly attached to the top of masonry chimneys. Of course, there could have been clay tile, or copper/steel liner pipe that I couldn't see from a speeding train ;-)

These look similar to chimney caps I've seen on Nantucket. Try doing a web search for "Terra Cotta Chimney Caps". Apparently there are a number of manufacturers, though I didn't see an example of one exactly like this.
Eric

"Chopping wood & waiting for my Lopi Declaration to be installed."

Status
Not open for further replies.