Stripped Screw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
What works best, a Grabit or a Kobalt Screw Extractor? The stripped screw is holding on a metal cover on a machine.

zap

I can't speak for either tool, but make sure you are soaking that thing in panther pizz while you wait.

Whatever you do, don't break off the screw extractor. I don't know what they are made of, but they are very hard to drill out. Can you just drill out the screw?

grapits are great for stripped screws and such, if you have a larger machine thread (jambed bolt snapped off in engine block for example) your going to want a set of snap-on extractors and some rev. bits or one of the similar sets made by mac or kobalt.

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Grab it is for stripped screw HEADS. they work great when you can't get a driver to bite. But go S L O W, don't just ream it and go full tilt with the extractor. If you need more go with an EZ out ,any Hardware or Auto supply store has them, but make sure the hole is drilled in the center, if you are off it may not work.

as stated above, a left handed drill bit
'the screw will usually back out while drilling
if not it helps loosen the stuck screw
then an easy out......carefully

I've used them all but I'm a L handed drill bit fan myself. Keep spraying it with some juice until you decide to work on it.

I'm not wild about the stubby's I have both sets and find the long style usually works better for me.

Left hand bits and a rediculous extractor kit are much needed friends in this shop. Here's the set I'm drooling over.

http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Hanson-IRW3101010-Master-Extractor/dp/B002YKGIDW

I have little use for EZ Out type extractors anymore. I much prefer the stubby spiral type included in that kit i linked to.

Zap are you dealing with a snapped off shank or just a stripped head?
Just a stripped head, hopefully this week I get time so I can get to the hardware store.
zap

Attachments

• 0dcd7fd7-7f2e-448e-ad18-50fd482d8888_300.jpg
    0dcd7fd7-7f2e-448e-ad18-50fd482d8888_300.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 126
Status
Not open for further replies.