Stronger roller catch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tlc1976

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2012
Northwest Lower Michigan
I just finished insulating and sealing my 3 attic access doors. I used a 1/4” stick on bulb seal. The other 2 doors worked fine. But this one I think is a little warped, and I can’t get it to stay latched without leaking air at the top corner. Played with the adjustment for a half hour, also tried loosening the hinges to reduce springback. The foam board is not binding anywhere. I can push on the door just a little and it seals up. The picture is an illusion, the catches are equally spaced all the way

Do they make these roller catches in a stronger version? Or something else similar? I would prefer to keep the latches internal.

DF1490DD-31B2-43A1-85F6-95BBE83C7666.png 80FE1EE4-69B4-425A-A27A-CDB8A48F3C40.jpeg E85BFE3B-5471-4EF6-9825-8F7ECE589E53.jpeg EF2FCF1D-4009-4720-80C5-816D3F30D0E0.jpeg

Last edited:
it'd be nowhere near as clean of a presentation, but a latch pushing on a cam would hold the door tight.

These maybe too old school for your decor, but here are two options we have had in this old house:

1. Wood shaker knob, dowel thru the door, to turn-catch on back side. Turn catch hits tapered wedge or slot, to suck the door in tight.

turn latch.jpg

Note this could be implemented with a shiny metal knob, or a white painted wood knob, it doesn't have to look as rustic as it is.

2. The classic turn button. Here's one on the fireplace doors, behind where I'm sitting now, in our 1775 addition.

IMG_7908.JPG

Warning, if you have kids, spinning large turn buttons like the one shown here will be irresistible to them... to the point where they'll wear the paint off your wall. They're the Fidget Spinners of the 18th century, I suppose.

DZUS quarter turn fasteners really snug up