Struggling with a Jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fire starter, I am new to the F400 also, but I've been burning for a long time. It seems to me the draft is everything. If you are getting mild weather you'll have a weaker draft and perhaps no secondary burn. when those freezing temperature are in it should run like a top. I loving my new F400, it is the most beautiful stove I have ever owned, but so far I don't think it compares in it's technology to my old wood burning Vigilant (VC) and my other Resolute (VC). The thermostatically controlled air intake is an innovation that few stoves can compete with. good luck.

Dear firestarter, I had exacrtly the same problems with my F400. Also own an Jotul3 and burn the same wood, same type of chimney etc. Checked all was clear in the stove and then scratched my head. In the end I measured the area of all the air box holes and compared it to the area of the slide adjust and found the air jet holes to be only 50% of the controlled area apertures. So I drilled out the airbox holes to double their area (not double the diameter!). Works wonderfully now. Are you sorted? What did you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.