Stuck with Green Wood - now what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LSaupe

Dec 8, 2007
Southern Adirondacks NY
O.K.:

No doubt this topic has been broached before, though cant find a good link on the topic. I have just received a load of green split firewood. The hopes was to use it this year (as all vendors are out of seasoned wood - I have been looking since sring but this was the best I could do). Tried to burn some this weekend but just ended up with smoke and creosote over everything.

Am I out of luck for the year? Any chance to salvage what I have? Wood is stored outside with a top cover.

Painfully frustrating.

Larry S.

Larry, I'd keep up the hunt for dry wood. You can often find it on Craigslist. I see a lot of folks who move and have a couple cords they want to unload before they do. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you had bought green in the spring when you started your search for seasoned wood, you'd have been all set. Next year, buy green in March or April, stack in a sunny place, and you'll be OK come winter.

You can also look for free wooden pallets (a lot of places advertise them in the paper). They are (very) dry wood and can be mixed in with what you have. Also you can use them to get a nice hot fire to add mix of green and pallet wood to. Just be careful about the nails in the ash.

Lsaupe, I am just north of the adirondacks on the canadian border, and in this weeks "free Trader" there were 5-6 ads for seasoned split hardwood. Maybe you could get one of the guys up here to deliver to you down there for a nominal fee. Where are you located exactly?

To help cut costs you can split the green stuff to a smaller size to supplement any dry stuff you buy. Don't use plastic or tarps to completely cover your pile as that will impede drying...Cave2k

LSaupe said:
O.K.:

No doubt this topic has been broached before, though cant find a good link on the topic. I have just received a load of green split firewood. The hopes was to use it this year (as all vendors are out of seasoned wood - I have been looking since sring but this was the best I could do). Tried to burn some this weekend but just ended up with smoke and creosote over everything.

Am I out of luck for the year? Any chance to salvage what I have? Wood is stored outside with a top cover.

Painfully frustrating.

Larry S.
What kind of green wood is it?

Drive around and find someone with alot of wood more then they need. Ask them if they will trade
some of there seasoned wood for your green wood.

If there are any sawmills or cabinet shops still operatng in your area? you might see if they will let you scrounge thru their cut-off bins. That stuff will be nice and dry.

Your best luck maybe to get a couple pallets of Biobricks/liberty logs/etc. These are like giant pellets that you burn. 1pallet~1.5cords(i think) anyway look for a dealer in your area. That maybe your best bet for this year and work on getting next years supply of wood now.

Stew

I'd suggest researching Holz Hausen stacking method. I've seen some fairly reliable reports of 3 month drying times. Of course that's warm weather drying times. And even if it really will work in 3 months you're looking at January before it's burn-able.

I think that we've pretty much debunked the 3 month drying time in a HH stack here. If you're burning white ash, or certain other woods- maybe, but nobody has actually witnessed a decrease in drying times.

Where the heck is ApprenticeGM anyway?

smokinj said:
LSaupe said:
O.K.:

Painfully frustrating.

Larry S.
What kind of green wood is it?

Yes ...what kind of wood is it, we are hoping you say "it's not all oak."
Ash is a good mixer...let us know....either way.... start splitting that stuff into smaller pieces and get your hands on some dry firestarters....

WoodButcher

I've had good luck drying a few weeks supply in my unfinished basement. Arrange it on the floor and along a dry masonry wall, the concrete will suck moisture from the wood. Get as much wood as you can touching concrete. Aim a fan at your wood while you are at it.

Forget this advise if your basement is wet, humid or you don't have one.

I have done this and it will work. Get 6 weeks worth spread out down there, let it dry for 3 weeks, use 3 weeks worth and replace with another 3 weeks, repeat. It will burn better than it does now. Don't be tempted to bring it all down there the humidity level will go way up and nothing will happen except mold.

Bail if you see mold (harry wood), carpenter ants or other nasty bugs/critters.

LSaupe said:
O.K.:

Painfully frustrating.

Larry S.

If you live in the kind of community where there's something like a general store with an active bulletin board, or there's a local community discussion email list or something similar, post a big notice asking if anybody will trade you 2 for 1 your green for their seasoned wood. If you can only get some of what you think you'll need, split some of the green stuff way down, stack it very loosely in as open and sunny a spot as you have. Do NOT tarp it. If you have a good new stove and a well-drafting chimney, you can start mixing in the small green splits a bit with whatever seasoned wood you can get in a month or two once you've got a really hot fire going. But check the chimney regularly for creosote. If the wood gets wet from snow or rain, just bring it in by the hearth and it will dry off from the water wet very fast.

But you have to get some seasoned wood somehow or you're out of luck for this winter. You're going to end up paying premium for it one way or another, either in trade or if you can even find anybody selling it.

Thanks for all the replies here. For those who were inquiring I am in the Southern Adirondacks near Great Sacandaga Lake.

Not sure the total make-up of the wood. There is quite a bit of oak involved, and boy does it smell tough out here (which is hopefully the drying process).

I actually have been trying to get wood in here since early spring, long story (defunct suppliers, then no wood for those who were in the business etc).

Out of $$$ and space now (I bought a 2 year supply). Going to have to scroung around and see what I can get I guess.

Thanks again for all the input on this. Maybe next year this stuff will actually burn.

Larry S.

Another thing to look into is the state and federal parks they sometimes let people get wood.
you may find some stuff that has been down for a while and is dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.