Stuff Never Heard on Hearth.com

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer green wood. That dry stuff burns too darn fast.
Don't laugh We may not see that here, but I've actually been told that by old-time rural burners around here.

Don't laugh We may not see that here, but I've actually been told that by old-time rural burners around here.
I've been told that too by some not so old timers

Scored 3 cords of Black Walnut today, from a CL ad titled "Will deliver FREE, to anyone willing to take, my worthless Black Walnut tree!

Me too! I had the green vs seasoned debate with my 40 something tree guy friend last guy year. I chose to let him be right in hopes that he'd dump some too dry wood at my house some time to get rid of it.

Reactions: Ashful
Yeah. But "old time burners," I meant people brought up in old ways of burning for generation after generation. If the old smoke dragon is still intact and heats the house on green wood, why fix what isn't broke?

Most rural folks aren't tied into keeping up with the latest and greatest, and I've found very few who even know about EPA stoves. I've had many a head shaken at me, old and young, over my insistence on burning dry wood. Most of them don't think I really do it seriously anyway because they never see smoke coming out of my chimney.

Reactions: Seanm and osagebow
Most of them don't think I really do it seriously anyway because they never see smoke coming out of my chimney.

That's funny.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
"This stove sucks, I should of kept my prefab open fireplace"

"wood heat is too warm for me"

"I like the warmth of the forced-air gas heat better"

"Backwoods Savage had to clean his chimney this week."

Good news,,, the wife and I just discovered the cutest colony of CARPENTER ANTS making their way into the basement. They are really fascinating to watch."

Reactions: woodgeek
my wife told me to take a nap on the couch, then she brought in enough wood for the week,loaded the stove, lit it, and adjusted the secondary air all on her own, now she won't let me touch the stove....

my wife told me to take a nap on the couch, then she brought in enough wood for the week,loaded the stove, lit it, and adjusted the secondary air all on her own, now she won't let me touch the stove....

This truly happened in my house. The wife is doing a great job of running the stove (She lets me run the stove when on my days off). She brings in the wood now, as she said "it's not a big job anymore".

Yeah, well, you might want to check with the numerous women who participate in this forum on that one, and a fair number of the married men.

"Harman announces stove factory equipped with Magic Heat reclaimer passes EPA certification."

Reactions: ailanthus
"You gotta leave that ashpan door open for a good 15-20 minutes to get it started"

Reactions: ColdNH
Sooteater....what's that? I just use a big ol' ball of chicken-wire on a rope.

The stove is okay, but I can't stand watching those annoying colorful flames in the firebox. I covered the glass with a steel shield so I don't have to look at them anymore.

"Backwoods Savage accidentally dropped his Fiskars axe on his moisture meter..."

"I gotta get rid of all of this three-year old cut, split, and stacked locust and hickory. Its just cluttering up my yard."

ditched the Fiskars axe, this maul from harbor freight does the job with half the effort

Status
Not open for further replies.