Stupid Question...But I'll Ask Anyway!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jscs.moore

Feeling the Heat
Sep 9, 2015
Eastern PA
So, I'm sitting here in Eastern PA cranking up my insert getting ready for the polar vortex plunge tonight and tomorrow. Weather stations are saying we might get 40 to 50 mph wind gusts so power outages are a strong possibility. My stupid question is...when you get down to coaling stage, has anyone ever just left the door wide open to heat a room? I only ask because every time I get to coaling stage and open the door to rack the coals forward the heat blast is very intense. I know you wouldn't consider doing this with a firebox full of flames, but I wondered if during the coaling stage (during a power outage)...if you left the door open would the heat just pour out and heat up the room? Just curious if anyone ever does this?

I've tried this but after that first blast of heat, the draft from the chimney started to act liked an open fireplace
an pulled the heated air up the chimney more than adding radiant heat to the room.

Reactions: Highbeam
It will feel good and that's nice but you will lose heat due to sucking the room air up the stack.

Reactions: Nigel459
This is EXACTLY why people like me stuck a wood-burning stove in our masonry fireplace. An "open" fire is nice and purdy to feel that radiant heat 3 feet away....then you will hear your natural gas "forced air" furnace kick on, then family members 20 feet away will wonder why it got so cold so quickly, then you get yelled at.

Don't get yelled at.

Heated air is for home occupants- not for blasting up a chimney liner.

Reactions: griam01