Success with loading rounds in EPA stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
I was just curious if anyone has success fully drying and throwing in a larger round in an EPA stove and if it increased burn times? Thanks.

If it is dry it will burn like a big split. I just never know if it is actually dry inside so have always split most of my rounds, even if it is just to take an edge off one side to promote drying.

Are you finding yours won't burn well?

Reactions: bboulier
All the time . . . as long as they're seasoned they go into the woodstove . . . anything from 2 inches and larger. And just like larger splits . . . larger rounds generally result in larger burns.

I'm finding that the rounds require more time to dry and therefore do not burn as well at the same age as the splits that I have.

Reactions: Ashful
If you are on the 3 year plan, there is no problem with burning rounds. We put one in a couple nights ago that just barely fit through the firebox door and it worked out fine.

Typically, in the bottom rear we will lay a decent sized round (4-5" normally) or one of the larger rectangular splits or a square one. That first one we put in will be the last one to burn and yes, it does help to hold the fire longer.

If you enlarge the pictures below you will see several rounds in those stacks along with the ends which are either squares or rectangles. This is the kind of wood we keep for mid winter and especially for that bottom rear piece when loading for overnight.

Winter's heat-1.JPG Barn 3 cord.JPG Ends-6.JPG Roofing-1.JPG

I decided to experiment a bit with my wood gun this year. The log in the picture is 24inches long. The opening of the woodgun is 18x18. Tree was taken down in the summer. Maple. Placed on a bed of coals of tulip. Handled it like a champ and was gone the next morning.
securedownload.jpg

Reactions: Colorado Boy
I decided to experiment a bit with my wood gun this year. The log in the picture is 24inches long. The opening of the woodgun is 18x18. Tree was taken down in the summer. Maple. Placed on a bed of coals of tulip. Handled it like a champ and was gone the next morning.
View attachment 128901
I just can't believe that live maple cut in the summer produced very much heat. It had to still be pretty wet.

That's why I really like trees that are standing dead. They tend to be much drier when cut.

The other night just to see what would happen, I put a 6" round that was green into a nice hot stove. Stove top thermometer read 525 when I put it in, and dropped to 350 in 20 minutes. Water boils at 212, can't get hotter until its all gone.

The gasifier burns a lot hotter than 525.

The gasifier burns a lot hotter than 525.

So do a lot of stoves, but it still has to be cooling your stove down (ie producing less heat). It is great if your stove will burn it that green, but it still has side effects.

My favorite night load is three six inch oak rounds N/S in the 30-NC. with two small splits wedged into the two creases on top. Easy to control and heat for 12 to 13 hours with lotta coals for reload.

two x 24in x 9.5 in diameter oak rounds works excellent for a long burns in Buck 91

Status
Not open for further replies.