Sugar Maple or Basswood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Going back on the trail we had this down, on on side there is a sugar maple and the other side a basswood so what type of wood is this?

Zap

Attachments

• 100_3177.jpg
    100_3177.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 217
  • 100_3178.jpg
    100_3178.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 202
  • 100_3179.jpg
    100_3179.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 100_3180.jpg
    100_3180.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 100_3181.jpg
    100_3181.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 219
chinkapin_oak said:
The piece that's been cut is American Elm.

Two questions, how can you tell and will this still split hard?

Zap

Really hard and really stringy.. Just cut one about a week ago. Standing Dead. Put a strain on my 21 ton MTD. As long as your using Hydro's, you should be good. I didnt even try the Fiskars, after I split the first piece.. Good luck, they say its pretty good wood. Not great, But it aint garbage either.... GIBIR .

DexterDay said:
Really hard and really stringy.. Just cut one about a week ago. Standing Dead. Put a strain on my 21 ton MTD. As long as your using Hydro's, you should be good. I didnt even try the Fiskars, after I split the first piece.. Good luck, they say its pretty good wood. Not great, But it aint garbage either.... GIBIR .

I'll split some this week and post some pictures and grab the moisture meter and take a reading, I think it will be ready for this fall.

I think this will be between 25-27 percent on the moisture meter.

Zap

Here is my thread I started for Wood I.D. on my elm. Dead standing for about 2 yrs. It was pretty dry also. You can see in my pics at the top, that they are "Stringy". Then in the 16th post I talk about the moisture levels, right after splitting. So if its been dead, it should be about half way there. Mine was dryer at the tops (Common, I know). But still not bad at the bottom. Good luck Zap.

Status
Not open for further replies.