Sugar maple seasoning time frame.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all I got tons of sugar maple from a friend that had a few monster trees dropped. How long should it take to season. Also hauled it all to my house and have I plied up. I have been splitting for days and need to take a break how long can it sit in a pile on the ground before I should worry. Thank you

I’d get it off the ground ASAP if it were mine but it should be ok for a few months. Sugar maple dries fast in my experience - once it’s split stacked and covered it could be ready to go in a year. Certainly in 2.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Maple turns quick in my experience, I’d get it off the ground in at least a few months.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Thank you for your replies. I split around 4 to 5 cord so far by my self then stacked it. If it sits it will only be for a few weeks I hope lol

Hard maples such as sugar are usually good to go in 2 years in my setup (top cover only).

The softer maples (red, silver) can get away with one year with medium sized splits and smaller. Larger splits of soft or hard maple I would certainly do the two years just to be safe!

I dropped a large sugar maple in early 2018. Left it in rounds in my driveway for 2 months or so while I started to split. No problems with any rot or decay in the rounds. Was around 43% - 45% wet when split, smells nice like sugar. Two full summers in partial shade, top covered with plastic. Measured around 22% this November 2019 for the larger pieces, under 20% on the smaller ones. Burned fine in my insert, not difficult to start or maintain. Two full summers were sufficient. In a full sun location, 2 summers should be perfect. I wouldn't burn it this year if it were me.