Suggest a new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmith

Jan 4, 2013
Downeast Maine
I'm looking for suggestions on a new stove to replace my two year old Avalon Arbor. I do not want another down draft stove. The new stove needs to be simple to operate (load it and forget it). The house is a new construction 1750 sq. ft. single story located in Maine. Stove will be placed centrally on the main floor.

Clearances will limit our options somewhat because we have a 48" x 48" brick hearth pad (limiting us to front or top loading). So it can't be too deep or have a side loading door.

I like the looks of the Jotul F400 Castine and F50 Rangeley.

Please let me know if you have additional suggestions. Thanks!

Go for the Oslo or the Rangeley if burning 24/7. I think you'll find the Castine too small (prior Castine owner here).

I agree that the Casine will be too small. There a tons of stoves out there will fit on that 48" hearth. Most stoves are easy to operate and work as advertised. The Arbor/Leyden stoves are plagued with problems and hard to figure out. It was a happy day at my house when the Laydown was hauled off!

As others have said . . . if you stick with the Jotul line up you will want an Oslo instead of the Castine.

Reactions: webby3650
Thanks for the replies. I really like the Oslo, but I just ran the numbers and I come up short by almost 4" with the existing hearth pad. If I use double wall pipe and the rear heat shield, I can get it 6" from the wall (already have a brick backwall with air space). Add the 27 5/16" depth of the stove and you only have 14.6875" left for the front clearance when the manufacturer requires 18".

Webby3650, it sounds like you also had a tough time with your Leyden. We have barely used our Arbor (might have burned 2 cords through it in two seasons). I'm hoping I can trade it in towards another stove, but if not I'll sell it outright. I wish I had done more research before I bought that stove.

I've heard great things about the Jotuls. What other tight clearance stoves should I look into that can fit on my 48" hearth?

The Lopi Endeavor would be a good fit. It has a 6" clearance(I think), it's very easy to use and it has a by-pass. I'm not sure if you are wanting a pretty stove, but it's not bad looking at all.

Yes, my leyden was a turd. I had heard some complaints, but I believed it was user error. I was wrong, they are undependable and unpredictable. At least they are pretty!

Thanks for the replies. I really like the Oslo, but I just ran the numbers and I come up short by almost 4" with the existing hearth pad. If I use double wall pipe and the rear heat shield, I can get it 6" from the wall (already have a brick backwall with air space). Add the 27 5/16" depth of the stove and you only have 14.6875" left for the front clearance when the manufacturer requires 18".

Webby3650, it sounds like you also had a tough time with your Leyden. We have barely used our Arbor (might have burned 2 cords through it in two seasons). I'm hoping I can trade it in towards another stove, but if not I'll sell it outright. I wish I had done more research before I bought that stove.

I've heard great things about the Jotuls. What other tight clearance stoves should I look into that can fit on my 48" hearth?

PE Alderleas have close clearances. It is a simple, reliable design that heats quite well. We're heating 2000 sq ft with a T6 and happy with its performance.

PE Alderleas have close clearances. It is a simple, reliable design that heats quite well. We're heating 2000 sq ft with a T6 and happy with its performance.

And they have a very cool cook top design! I've always been impressed with the quality of PE.
The truth is, there are so many great brands out there that it will come down to looks. What are your preferences?

I'm looking for suggestions on a new stove to replace my two year old Avalon Arbor. I do not want another down draft stove. The new stove needs to be simple to operate (load it and forget it). The house is a new construction 1750 sq. ft. single story located in Maine. Stove will be placed centrally on the main floor.

Clearances will limit our options somewhat because we have a 48" x 48" brick hearth pad (limiting us to front or top loading). So it can't be too deep or have a side loading door.

I like the looks of the Jotul F400 Castine and F50 Rangeley.

Please let me know if you have additional suggestions. Thanks!

No more downdrafts for me either! It is definitely not a "set it and forget it" type of stove.

Also, I'm thinking no more top loaders either. I just never felt like I had a good seal with the lid just sitting there without a door handle to lock it in place.

I am also thinking Oslo for myself, but I'm six months in to a massive research project so as to not make another big mistake.

Is the oslo an ember protection only stove? If he has 14 inches in the front, could a hearth rug get him the remaining distance for the oslo?

Is the oslo an ember protection only stove? If he has 14 inches in the front, could a hearth rug get him the remaining distance for the oslo?

It is an ember protection only . . . but I'm not sure if a hearth rug would count as an actual hearth.

Webby3650: Well, we preferred a traditional cast iron look (which is why we went with the Avalon Arbor). My wife would still like to get a similar looking stove, but I just want something that is going to do the job and be easy to operate. And since we will take a hit when we sell the Arbor, I would like to find something that is right around $2,000 (or less). I've been looking at the Lopi Endeavor due to its clearances and simplicity, but I'll need to talk her into that style of a stove. It's just not as "pretty".

Thanks everyone for your recommendations.

Trying to stay under 2k make it rough. There aren't too many "pretty"stoves under 2k. I like the endeavor, but its not as nice looking as others.

Trying to stay under 2k make it rough. There aren't too many "pretty"stoves under 2k. I like the endeavor, but its not as nice looking as others.
I should have mentioned that I'm also on the lookout for gently used showroom models. But, I may have to bite the bullet and spend more.

If you are open to purchasing a used stove, you'll have more flexibility. This time of year, you might get lucky and find what you want at a great price. People move, change size of stove, want to try a new one...all sorts of reasons they change stoves. Many times you can get a used stove in great condition at a reasonable price. I know you could get a used Woodstock in great condition in this price range, for instance. Unfortunately, they are side loading and require a wider pad. At least the Fireview does. I believe the Keystone does too. But I'm sure you can find the other more expensive stoves used in your price range.

Some stoves require some insulating value in the hearth. Others require only ember protection.

So if he only needs 2 extra inches of ember protection (has 14", needs 16") would a hearth rug, while not strictly up to code, safely provide ember protection?

I may find myself in a similar situation, quibbling about the extra inch or two...

A hearth rug is not a fixed protection, but better than nothing if it is fiberglass. Canada requires 18" and with good reason. I have had ember pop off past the hearth while adjusting logs more than once.

A hearth rug is not a fixed protection, but better than nothing if it is fiberglass. Canada requires 18" and with good reason. I have had ember pop off past the hearth while adjusting logs more than once.

I absolutely want to be as safe as possible. That's why I'm trying to fully understand my woodstock (NOT ember protection only?) and my Jotul requirements. As the jotuls are heat shielded, I'd feel a little better being an inch short on the fixed hearth if I put down an extra few FEET of hearth rug ember protection.

What really worries me is if I can safely put a woodstock keystone on a 1 inch + slab of blue stone with some mortar sitting on the wooden floor beams.
If not, I can stop dreaming of the woodstock and move on...

I have a melt spot on my carpet about 3" past the 16" hearth. I'd put a hearth rug down but I'm afraid it would be a trip hazard. They can be pretty attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.