suggested caulk/silicone ahesive for securing top plate to crown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

neverstop

Feeling the Heat
Oct 11, 2020
new hampshire
getting close to installing my new flue setup. I was wondering if there was a "go-to" caulk/silicone adhesive for sealing the top plate to the crown of the chimney. In this case it will actually be a transition plate transitioning from flex liner to class A pipe. I'm going to be installing tapcon screws, into the crown but would like to make sure the actual sealant I use is up to the task.

I've used GE Silicone II with good success. The top cap stayed stuck on during an earthquake, while the chimney below it rotated 45º. Make sure surfaces are clean and dust free.

Back then there was only GE Silicone II, it was relatively new on the market at the time. They sold it as all-purpose and it only came in clear. My guess is that this is now called their door and window product.

I'm not sure which of their specialty versions would be best now and whether there is a distinct difference other than color.