Transition plate scratches

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ovationcs257

Oct 26, 2022
Rochester NY
Can anyone confirm for me if it is normal for the transition plate to be scratched like these pictures? I reached out to the seller and this is the response I received.

Scratches are going to happen with this plate. It’s 14-gauge SS. A full 8’ X 4’ sheet is loaded into our laser table that has metal supports on it to support the metal while the metal is cut. Placing the metal on the table for the laser to cut the metal causes these scratches along with stacking the plates on each other. The scratches do not compromise the plate. No one will see the scratches because it’s on the top of the chimney.

I'm also kind of wondering the best way to install this, do I need to unhook the liner from the stove so I can pull the liner up connect the plate, and then reconnect the stove? I can't wrap my head around trying to cut the liner at the perfect height trying to get the clamp tight with almost no time and then sealing the plate down.

Thank you in advance.

PXL_20231113_224956127.jpg PXL_20231113_224953145.jpg PXL_20231113_225041374.jpg

yeah don't worry about it. It's not like it'll start to rust there. You won't see it anyway like you already pointed out

Reactions: Ovationcs257