Transition from liner to class A at the anchor plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BKinUP

Oct 18, 2023
Iron Mountain MI
I searched for a post covering my situation and could not find one. If I missed it, I apologize.

I need advice on the following:
I want to put a wood stove in my basement, run the vent through a centrally located masonry chimney, and exit through a metal roof. Length of run is about 30’. I know to use a SS liner, stove pipe from the stove to the liner, and the basics of what is needed to go through the roof.

There is a catch, of course. The existing masonry chimney was dismantled to below the roof line due to deterioration when the roof was replaced.

So how do I drop the liner down the chimney and secure it to the solid pipe for the through the roof connection?

Also, assuming the SS liner will be effectively hung from the solid pipe, will a couple feet of exposed liner be a hazard? There would be at least 12” of clearance from anything combustible.

A couple ideas I had -
Take the chimney down a bit more and make it even at the top. Then place a top plate on it to hold the liner, and connect the rigid chimney pipe to it there.

Flex liner goes all the way to the roof and mates with the chimney pipe there. Just not certain how to do either.

All advice is appreciated. Thanks!

There are a couple of ways to skin this cat. This is with the DuraVent product line, but there may be options in other lines. If one uses DuraTech Class A chimney pipe, then they make a transition anchor plate, part 6DT-AP14x17. This works together with the DuraLiner slip connect and hanger, part 6DLR-SCH. It has a band clamp which will also work with flex liner. The hanger ends fit through slots in the transition plate to securely hang the liner. Then the DuraTech chimney pipe gets screwed to the transition anchor plate. This might work with other chimney pipe that is also 8" OD, though I haven't personally done this. Measure first and test for a dry fit. (Note that they also make a transition anchor plate for the 3 wall DuraPlus).

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 10.47.44 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-10-18 at 10.49.07 AM.png

Another method that should also work with other chimney pipe would be to get the DuraVent bottom plate, part 6VFT-BP and install it upside down so that the liner clamp is on the underside, inside of the masonry chimney, anchoring the liner. Then mount the anchor plate for the chimney pipe on top of that with a bead of Silicone II between the two plates.

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 10.49.43 AM.png