Suggested Truck/Engine Options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My f350 diesel is rated to tow 10,000#. It weighs 7500# empty and has huge disc brakes on all wheels plus 8 gallons of antifreeze. Daily driver plus tow pig for a 7000# rv.

I too would like a small half ton gas and they’re now rated to tow my trailer but underneath they are the same little half tons that used to be rated to tow 5000#.

Maybe the compromise is a 3/4 or 1 ton gas truck. They get similar mpg in city and towing but empty freeway cruises give superior mpg in the half ton or the diesel.

Reactions: bholler
I won't debate this too passionately but my neighbor and I, same 6.2's, drove a bunch of miles a few years back comparing E85, regular and premium. Both of us had the same result - premium is the lowest cost fuel to use in the 6.2's. E85 was the next closest. Regular was the most expensive. Yer spending more money running regular :)

I'll certainly give it a try, I'm not into spending more than I have to!

I'll certainly give it a try, I'm not into spending more than I have to!

We found that we had to run three full tanks to get the real impact out of the fuel when we were switching between them. So be patient :)

Do note that trucks in the last ten years are rated for higher tow capacities than the same trucks ten years ago. I believe this reflects a change in how they’re spec’d, more than any improvement in actual capability. In other words, manufacturers are getting more aggressive in their spec’s, to the point where it’s a little dangerous and deceiving.
Bingo!

I only buy 6.0 gas 2500 HD’s for the simple reason is they work great for me. My last one went 90K miles with nothing more than oil changes, 1 air filter and 3 sets of tires. Not a single other bolt was ever touched.
That has been my experience in over 30 years.
Had one 1/2 ton in that time. Never again.
My current 18 bought in Aug of that year just turned 47K miles. Zero issues.

I only buy 6.0 gas 2500 HD’s for the simple reason is they work great for me. My last one went 90K miles with nothing more than oil changes, 1 air filter and 3 sets of tires. Not a single other bolt was ever touched.
That has been my experience in over 30 years.
Had one 1/2 ton in that time. Never again.
My current 18 bought in Aug of that year just turned 47K miles. Zero issues.
We have an 06 2500 6.0 that has been a great truck. But unfortunately the frame is to rusted for me to trust it so it had to be replaced. We ended up with a 2017 f250 that seems good so far. We will see in time.

2017 f250
4x4?
We have a 2017 F250 4x4 at work...dang thing takes an extension ladder to get in/out of it! Seriously, we had to put step bars on it so the shorter guys could use it. IIRC the floor measures 30" high.
Why they gotta be so tall?!

4x4?
We have a 2017 F250 4x4 at work...dang thing takes an extension ladder to get in/out of it! Seriously, we had to put step bars on it so the shorter guys could use it. IIRC the floor measures 30" high.
Why they gotta be so tall?!
Yes 4x4 but all newer 4x4 trucks are that high I don't know why they think a work truck needs to sit that damn high. I don't mind getting in and out of it but getting stuff in the bed or getting ladders on and off sucks

Reactions: brenndatomu
Generally 4x4 trucks are designed to be used off-road or at least on gravel and dirt roads where they benefit from the extra ground clearance.

Generally 4x4 trucks are designed to be used off-road or at least on gravel and dirt roads where they benefit from the extra ground clearance.

I would never buy a truck that did not have 4 wheel drive. I cut wood in timber and slog through mud and snow to get there. 4 wheel drive has saved my butt more times that I can count! LOL

Thank you everyone for your input. I have gone back and taken a closer look at the 2500's. They really are not so much more expensive as to be ruled out. It also seems to significantly increase the peace of mind factor.

As others have noted, having an integrated brake controller is a must. Any truck I look at is going to have the oversized towing mirrors, which come as part of a towing package - including the brake controller. How about the bells and whistles - are there items that are must have or worthless? I think the back up camera is a no brainer - so much easier when hooking up trailers. There seems to be a lot of "quality of life" upgrades in the LTZ packages also.

Reactions: sloeffle
Ground clearance is one thing, the bed rails being 5' off the ground is another.
The new 4x4's are as tall (or taller) as trucks from the 80's with 4" lift and oversized tires!
I bought a flatbed for my Superduty just because the height of the bedrails makes it such a PITA to load/unload wood. (haven't installed it yet though)

No generally 4x4 trucks are designed to be used on the road but also have the capability to get places you wouldn't otherwise be able to get. Just this week I had to pull our work van up a muddy driveway with the truck. I don't need extra ground clearance in my work truck at all. It is not an off-road rig but I do need 4wd to be able to get to some jobsites especially when towing a trailer. If I want to go actual offroading I have my bronco for that.

Reactions: Ashful
Ground clearance is one thing, the bed rails being 5' off the ground is another.
The new 4x4's are as tall (or taller) as trucks from the 80's with 4" lift and oversized tires!
I bought a flatbed for my Superduty just because the height of the bedrails makes it such a PITA to load/unload wood. (haven't installed it yet though)
Look at the rear axle on that f250 there is a 4" lift block there from the factory. I wish the front had one to I would just pull them and make it a more reasonable height for loading.

We have an 06 2500 6.0 that has been a great truck. But unfortunately the frame is to rusted for me to trust it so it had to be replaced. We ended up with a 2017 f250 that seems good so far. We will see in time.
I have the frame oiled (New Hampshire Undercoating is the stuff IIRC) I did not do it this fall but it will get done in the spring after all the salts are washed off the roads.
There is another company that oils all the nooks and crannies of the body that a friend has done to his truck. Sure it drips for a few days but it won’t rust.
I had a F250 plow truck that needed work all the time. Many friends who run them and I’m shocked at what they do to keep them on the road.

Look at the rear axle on that f250 there is a 4" lift block there from the factory. I wish the front had one to I would just pull them and make it a more reasonable height for loading.
Yup...had a Ram 3500 with the same setup, customer wanted it lower so his 5th wheel trailer would ride level...took the 4" blocks out and had 2" milled off at the machine shop, that made the trailer a little closer to level, and the truck was closer to level too (when empty...was really nose down empty from factory)

I have the frame oiled (New Hampshire Undercoating is the stuff IIRC) I did not do it this fall but it will get done in the spring after all the salts are washed off the roads.
There is another company that oils all the nooks and crannies of the body that a friend has done to his truck. Sure it drips for a few days but it won’t rust.
I had a F250 plow truck that needed work all the time. Many friends who run them and I’m shocked at what they do to keep them on the road.
We started that about 5 years ago but it was to late at that point

Yup...had a Ram 3500 with the same setup, customer wanted it lower so his 5th wheel trailer would ride level...took the 4" blocks out and had 2" milled off at the machine shop, that made the trailer a little closer to level, and the truck was closer to level too (when empty...was really nose down empty from factory)
The Ford sits pretty level so I can't do that in my case.

The Ford sits pretty level so I can't do that in my case.
Down home the town just bought a new F350. Getting in and out of that all day must blow chunks not to mention the bed rail height is very high as well.

As others have noted, having an integrated brake controller is a must. Any truck I look at is going to have the oversized towing mirrors, which come as part of a towing package - including the brake controller. How about the bells and whistles - are there items that are must have or worthless?
I don't know how they're configuring the HD trucks, but the 1/2 ton trucks are all shipping with stupid gearing, these days. The standard 3.21 gears belong in my wife's station wagon, not a pickup truck, they make the damn thing almost feel like a CVT. So, the absolute #1 upgrade for me was a posi rear with 3.92 gears. I wouldn't even look at any truck without that option.

HD rear springs, if it's an option. It won't help your unloaded height, per the last few posts, but it will make it ride nicer with a lot of weight on the tongue.

On the more frivolous end of things, per your question:

1. Remote start. Since I mostly park my truck outdoors, this is my absolute favorite option. I hit the remote start button, fill my thermos, kiss the wife and kids, put on my shoes and coat, water the chickens, and by the time I hop into the truck it is warm.

2. Heated seats. See above remote start.

3. Heated steering wheel. I actually laughed at this stupid option when I heard about it, but have to admit I've come to love it.

4. Heated mirrors, I hate when they ice up, and I can't see my trailer.

I don't know how they're configuring the HD trucks, but the 1/2 ton trucks are all shipping with stupid gearing, these days. The standard 3.21 gears belong in my wife's station wagon, not a pickup truck, they make the damn thing almost feel like a CVT. So, the absolute #1 upgrade for me was a posi rear with 3.92 gears. I wouldn't even look at any truck without that option.

HD rear springs, if it's an option. It won't help your unloaded height, per the last few posts, but it will make it ride nicer with a lot of weight on the tongue.

On the more frivolous end of things, per your question:

1. Remote start. Since I mostly park my truck outdoors, this is my absolute favorite option. I hit the remote start button, fill my thermos, kiss the wife and kids, put on my shoes and coat, water the chickens, and by the time I hop into the truck it is warm.

2. Heated seats. See above remote start.

3. Heated steering wheel. I actually laughed at this stupid option when I heard about it, but have to admit I've come to love it.

4. Heated mirrors, I hate when they ice up, and I can't see my trailer.
Most heavy trucks have a few choices as far as gearing the same as the 1/2 tos.
What I like about ours is electronic locking differentials. So most of the time driving around you have a nice smooth open diff. But flip a switch. And in this case go out and turn the hubs for the front and both diffs and the transfer case are locked.

Reactions: brenndatomu
No generally 4x4 trucks are designed to be used on the road but also have the capability to get places you wouldn't otherwise be able to get. Just this week I had to pull our work van up a muddy driveway with the truck. I don't need extra ground clearance in my work truck at all. It is not an off-road rig but I do need 4wd to be able to get to some jobsites especially when towing a trailer. If I want to go actual offroading I have my bronco for that.

I guess you and I come from very different parts of the world, around here 4x4 and high ground clearance is a way of life, it's not until you get your work truck stuck in the dead center of a road 200km from civilization that you'll understand why. It's not optional in many cases to wait for the roads to dry up, operators need to get to wells, mechanics to compressors, welders to the pipelines, loggers to their equipment.

I guess we could argue semantics as to whether or not the truck is designed for this service, but I've yet to see an "offroad Bronco" with a welding skid or mechanics service body on the back.

Most heavy trucks have a few choices as far as gearing the same as the 1/2 tos.
What I like about ours is electronic locking differentials. So most of the time driving around you have a nice smooth open diff. But flip a switch. And in this case go out and turn the hubs for the front and both diffs and the transfer case are locked.

Front diffs on the F-series trucks don't lock, they are always open.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I guess you and I come from very different parts of the world, around here 4x4 and high ground clearance is a way of life, it's not until you get your work truck stuck in the dead center of a road 200km from civilization that you'll understand why. It's not optional in many cases to wait for the roads to dry up, operators need to get to wells, mechanics to compressors, welders to the pipelines, loggers to their equipment.

I guess we could argue semantics as to whether or not the truck is designed for this service, but I've yet to see an "offroad Bronco" with a welding skid or mechanics service body on the back.
And yes if I worked in an area like that it would be different. But here we just don't need extra ground clearance for the work we do. The guys working in the gas fields yes. But why is it I can't get a truck that I can load easily and don't have to climb up on the bumper to get a ladder anymore. Why not make a reasonable height truck and have an option of extra ground clearance? That is how it was done in the past.