Suggestions For Battery With Inverter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JR52

Jan 8, 2017
Pennsylvania
I received the attached PDF from Harman for approved back up options. I was thinking of going with the APS700HF inverter simply because it was the cheapest option out of the three. Any suggestions for which battery I should purchase?

Attachments

• HAR Battery Back-up options.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 417
I received the attached PDF from Harman for approved back up options. I was thinking of going with the APS700HF inverter simply because it was the cheapest option out of the three. Any suggestions for which battery I should purchase?
I did a lot of Thinking down this road and went with this one.

Universal UB121000-45978 12v 100AH Deep Cycle AGM Battery 12V 24V 48V(Black)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S1RT58C/?tag=hearthamazon-20

My 2nd Choice was 200AH Battery. But it's too heavy for me.

https://www.apexbattery.com/12v-200...MIqIaUzcjq2gIVhsVkCh3nrQ3xEAYYAyABEgLeiPD_BwE

Personally I would not go with this Inverter. It's not Pure Sine Wave. You have to go and change the Control Board. I went with Pure Sine Wave Aims 1250 Watt 12V Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger PICOGLF12W12V120AL

I did some test and think I will get 8 hours of use. Manual Mode with 1/2 speed fan.

I would look at the sealed batteries they use in the electric scooter chairs, they are safer and designed for use inside homes.

I would look at the sealed batteries they use in the electric scooter chairs, they are safer and designed for use inside homes.
Not going to get much out of Wheelchair battery. Most are 35ah. They are just AGM battery (sealed). If he get AGM he's ok. Ones I recommended he can run upside down if he wants. They can still vent gas if OVERCHARGED. I would prefer Inverter/Charger that has setting for AGM. The crappy unit Harmon suggested has 2 marks against it. Non Sine Wave and no AGM Setting for that type of battier. ie. Correct Charge Voltage. But it should still work with visit from Dealer to change jumper on board or if he does it. If he's worried about warranty I bet dealer change is only option. I bet that's 150 bucks or more.

Why would they recommend non Sine Wave. Without change the stove will just shut down to prevent smoke.

Why would they recommend non Sine Wave. Without change the stove will just shut down to prevent smoke.

When the stove senses the modified (non) sine wave it starts the shutdown of the stove.

When the stove senses the modified (non) sine wave it starts the shutdown of the stove.

Not going to get anything when it shuts down. OP wants to run off Battery for heating. Non Sine Wave is not friendly to Electronics and Motors from what I understand. Why Harmon recommend this is beyond me, except to get dealers service calls.

Thank you both for the feedback. I guess I'm confused, though. In that attachment, it seems that Harman is saying that it won't shut down and will last up to 8 hours as long as you set it to Continue Operation. Is this not the case?

Thank you both for the feedback. I guess I'm confused, though. In that attachment, it seems that Harman is saying that it won't shut down and will last up to 8 hours as long as you set it to Continue Operation. Is this not the case?

I don't have the same stove so I can't say. How long it stays running on a battery backup depends on the size of the battery. If you need to keep your stove running in a long term outage it's better to use a generator to power the stove. A small 1KW generator is about all it needs to keep it running

The Inverter you have chosen will not run the stove but for shutdown. To get it to run longer you have to change a jumper on the Motherboard. It was posted there about month ago. It's why I suggest you buy different inverter. One with Pure Sine Wave. Not Modified SW. If your not happy doing that it would result in service call from dealer at your cost. So why not get right Inverter so no Service Call? Or if all you want is shutdown your ok.

Me I wanted the stove to run 8 hours. I doubt I can get 8 hours on one 100AH Battery. Real Life Test is yet to come. With 60f days I can't do that. I switched back to Heat Pump Furnace. It's cheaper than Pellets anyway. I will try to post link to Harmon New Inverter list.

The Inverter you have chosen will not run the stove but for shutdown. To get it to run longer you have to change a jumper on the Motherboard. It was posted there about month ago. It's why I suggest you buy different inverter. One with Pure Sine Wave. Not Modified SW. If your not happy doing that it would result in service call from dealer at your cost. So why not get right Inverter so no Service Call? Or if all you want is shutdown your ok.

Me I wanted the stove to run 8 hours. I doubt I can get 8 hours on one 100AH Battery. Real Life Test is yet to come. With 60f days I can't do that. I switched back to Heat Pump Furnace. It's cheaper than Pellets anyway. I will try to post link to Harmon New Inverter list.
That's odd that I would have to change a jumper on the motherboard when Harman doesn't say to do that. I'll have to look into it further. Thanks for the info.

That's odd that I would have to change a jumper on the motherboard when Harman doesn't say to do that. I'll have to look into it further. Thanks for the info.

But they do say that.

Tripp Lite APS700HF. This is the most cost-effective inverter/charger approved by Harman. At 700 watts, it can run the stove for up to eight hours. It requires a 12 volt deep cycle battery and simple stove setting changes from a Harman dealer. Approximately $191 on Amazon.

Turn on Dip Switch #4 (continues operation) Dip Switch #4 Power failure shudown. Factory set OFF

http://rs.woodmanspartsplus.com/company_41/Harman Dipswitch Reference Chart.pdf

DIPSWITCH 4
= Power failure shutdown when using UPS/battery back-up
= Quick Shut Down
= Continue Operation
Note: Power failure shutdown is available on boards: 3-20-05886E, 3-20-05887B, 3-20-05888C, 3-20-05892F, 3-20-
06142E, 3-20-06143D, or newer

But they do say that.

Tripp Lite APS700HF. This is the most cost-effective inverter/charger approved by Harman. At 700 watts, it can run the stove for up to eight hours. It requires a 12 volt deep cycle battery and simple stove setting changes from a Harman dealer. Approximately $191 on Amazon.
This is what they say on page 2:

Tripp Lite APS750 or Tripp Lite APS700HF
1. Go into Authorized Dealer Area.
2. Touch Power Failure.
3. Press Continue Operation (since these inverter/chargers are not pure sine wave, they should be set to Continue Operation to
allow stove to continue heating during power failure).

The authorized dealer area requires a password to access which I believe I saw somewhere on Hearth.com which is why I believe they are saying a simple stove setting from a dealer. Where have you seen something changing a jumper on the motherboard?

Already posted it above your request I post it.

I looked at manual and the stove is the XXV TC, but for the stove not having fancy stuff on it. Plain Jane version with little bigger hopper. I doubt they have different MB's.

Last edited:
Already posted it above your request I post it.

Not following. You posted a link that says less than the PDF I posted (which describes the setting adjustments) and a link to Dipswitches with the Continue Operation option. The Absolute 63 can be set by a dealer (or someone with the code to get to the dealer settings) by hitting a couple buttons. I'm not seeing anything that says a Harman dealer has to change a jumper on the motherboard.

Go ahead and buy it. Pull the plug for AC power and let us know. If it's Dip switch or Software change I bet we can get you info. Worse case is Dealer Service Call you get to pay for. I went different route with Pure Sine Wave Inverter/Charger. Everything I have read says electronics don't like Modified SW and will fry it one day in the future. But hey it's your call. Me I would stay away from Modified with the Control board costing $659.

https://pellet-stove-parts-4less.co...372?last_collection=harman-pellet-stove-parts

Same Control Board in lots of models. Yours should display option of continue if it goes to non sine wave inverter. I got the XXV (Non TC). $249 vs $659 for control board. Yikes they want a lot for that Touch Screen Electronics. More stuff to break. I got floor sample for $3300 with new warranty. Glad I did now.
So are you saying that I don't need a dealer to come out here to adjust a cable?

Go ahead and buy it. Pull the plug for AC power and let us know. If it's Dip switch or Software change I bet we can get you info. Worse case is Dealer Service Call you get to pay for. I went different route with Pure Sine Wave Inverter/Charger. Everything I have read says electronics don't like Modified SW and will fry it one day in the future. But hey it's your call. Me I would stay away from Modified with the Control board costing $659.
Thanks for your help.

So are you saying that I don't need a dealer to come out here to adjust a cable?
Nope just an adjustment on the touchscreen, however to access the menu to make the change you will need the dealer lock code which if you do a search was posted in the past or message me and I will give it to you.