Suggestions for Replacement ZC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

riles246

Nov 23, 2019
Mid-NY State
Hi all,

I've been thinking about solving my ZC fireplace problem for a few years, and I'm finally fed up enough to just do it. The fireplace in question is a Majestic MD36, likely dating back to the 70's or 80's. It's in fine condition, but literally dumps cold air into the house when it's not running, and runs through so much wood in a single sitting just to keep the room that its in at a reasonable temperature. Certainly not a heating appliance; I use it maybe 5 or 6 times per year due to the hassle. However, I heat my home with heat pumps, and would love to be able to light a fire on the coldest days of the year and make it toasty warm. The heat pumps are fine but this particular room (likely because of the fireplace) can't get about 62 degrees without the help of a space heater when it's below ~20f outside, even though the rest of the house can hit 69 just fine.

The good news is that it is installed in a wall that butts up against the garage, so the backside of the wall is a false wall encasing the ZC is totally accessible and not load bearing, so I can cut it and rebuild it rather easily, making it possible to remove the entire ZC fireplace from behind.

Anyway, without further ado, I've been looking at my options and just need some guidance. I went to a fireplace showroom this weekend and they seem to only want to sell and install inserts, and weren't at all interested in showing/selling full fireplaces. However, I don't believe my ZC is rated for a wood insert so I see the following options:

1. Remove ZC fireplace entirely and replace with new, high efficiency ZC fireplace.
-I have my eyes on something like the Pacific Energy FP30- I LOVE the idea of running ductwork in the attic above or crawlspace below this room to feed heat into the rest of the house.

2. Add a gas insert (which would also require getting a propane tank and plumbing installed).
-My wife really likes this option because she can use it when we're not home, but I am a bit nervous about the additional cost of running propane lines and obtaining/installing a huge propane tank outside the house.

3. Add a wood insert (although I don't believe I am allowed to with this fireplace; that would be the easiest route it seems).

I'll stop there. Am I heading in the right direction? Who do I even call to tear out the old fireplace and put a new one in, if the local dealers only seem to want to put inserts in? I am a handy DIYer so if I could do it safely and with full permitting, I would consider making this a spring project.

Also, any other suggestions as to which fireplace and/or insert to look at in terms of efficiency and other features? I want very high efficiency so that I'm not lugging so much wood.

In case necessary, here are my existing dimensions:

Opening in the brick facade: 35.5" wide by 25" tall; hearth is elevated approximately 12" from the floor.

Existing FP depth (for a gas insert): 17" from the back of the insert to the backside of the brick facade, 30.75" from back of the insert to front of the facade. There is also additional 1" of stacked stone on top of the red brick, but it is somewhat easy to trim or add if needed. I've attached a picture of the fireplace before the stacked stone and after.

Thanks!!

IMG_1397.jpg IMG_1392.jpg IMG_0470.JPG IMG_1242.jpg

Yes, it's unlikely an insert would be permitted to be installed here. The lowest cost option would be to put in a fireplace that comes close to matching the opening size if possible. Check out the Valcourt fireplace (Osburn Stratford) if the FP30 is not a good match.

Reactions: riles246
Yes, it's unlikely an insert would be permitted to be installed here. The lowest cost option would be to put in a fireplace that comes close to matching the opening size if possible. Check out the Valcourt fireplace (Osburn Stratford) if the FP30 is not a good match.

That's really helpful, thank you. My biggest interest is in the fireplaces with the heat distribution options so that I can move the heat to the upstairs and also to the other parts of the house, and so far I've got two contenders thanks to your assistance:

Pacific Energy FP30
Valcourt FP12

Both seem to have convection + forced air options, which is great. I'd be fine with just unpowered/convection distribution options but powered really opens some good possibilities.

One thing is that it seems to be important that the efficiency is greater than 75% so that it is eligible for the 26% federal tax credit, which is a material cost savings. Fingers crossed that I can get it all done in 2021 before the credit expires!

Fingers crossed that I can get it all done in 2021 before the credit expires!
I didn't read closely enough- looks like the credit was extended at 26% through the end of 2022, then drops to 22% in 2023. So there isn't an urgency to get the project completed by 12/31/21, other than my own excitement to finally have a fireplace that isn't terrible :)

I've got two contenders thanks to your assistance:

Pacific Energy FP30
Valcourt FP12
I don't think either of those qualify for the tax credit the only 2 fireplaces I have found are the Superior WCT6940 and the Montecito Estate they a re both made by IHP and have a catalyst.

Reactions: riles246
I don't think either of those qualify for the tax credit the only 2 fireplaces I have found are the Superior WCT6940 and the Montecito Estate they a re both made by IHP and have a catalyst.

THANK YOU! I was just logging back on to tee up this exact question- looking for any that qualify and really hard to find that info. The tax credit is huge now since it also covers installation costs.

I see in the manual for the Supreme Astra 32 and Astra 24 that the "optimum efficiency" is 75%, although their LHV and HHV figures are less than that. I really like the way they look, so might use the page from the manual showing the optimum efficiency as support for my tax return in trying to claim the federal credit. I don't care so much about the federal credit for the unit itself but it really helps on the overall installed price including labor.

Unfortunately my wife and I don't like the arched fireplaces which rules out the 6940 and the Montecito Estate. I do like the Superior 3920 so if I give up on the federal credit I might go with that one since it doesn't require gravity ducts like the Astras do when using the clean face. The 3920 has an actual EPA rating of 63% unfortunately.

It took me a few weeks in calling contractors before I found any who do this work, but I have a couple coming to give quotes in the next 2-3 weeks so I'm excited to move this project forward.

might use the page from the manual showing the optimum efficiency as support for my tax return in trying to claim the federal credit. I don't care so much about the federal credit for the unit itself but it really helps on the overall installed price including labor.
I am not 100% sure how the tax credit works I have never claimed one for something like this but I think it has to be on an approved list. Maybe Begreen would know?

I am not 100% sure how the tax credit works I have never claimed one for something like this but I think it has to be on an approved list. Maybe Begreen would know?
Funny- I just checked the internal revenue code and it's clear as day (unfortunately for me based on my desire to use "optimal" efficiency instead of the HHV):

IRC 25D(d)(6)(A) The term "qualified biomass fuel property expenditure" means an expenditure for property

(i) which uses the burning of biomass fuel to heat a dwelling unit located in the US and used as a residence by the taxpayer, or to heat water for such a dwelling unit, and

(ii) which has a thermal efficiency rating of at least 75 percent (measured by the higher heating value of the fuel).

Generally with Federal income tax credits that are proportional to the expenditure there isn't a list (as compared to those with a flat dollar amount); the incentives that use a list are usually those granted by other bureaus of the Federal government. The IRC approach to credits is usually somewhat more general, though this one is amazingly specific and seems to eliminate every fireplace except the two noted above by John26 (or at least, I haven't found any others yet in my searches).

There is only one ZC fireplace that has tested above the 75% HHV threshold for the tax credit, the Montecito Estate Cat Classic, also sold as the Superior WCT6940WS.

The list I was referring to is the EPA data base I believe they only rating for efficiency they show is the HHV