Suggestions for Replacing an Appalachian Stove Model 28 Stove Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Edagimo

Mar 20, 2022
Virginia
Hi everyone,

My blower died at the end of last year and after doing some research (thanks to everyone who helped me find the replacement!) I'm wondering if it's worth it long term to spend $300+ on the blower for this old, inefficient stove that I don't think is even rated to heat my space O__O

So my question is, do you guys have suggestions for a replacement stove insert for an Appalachian Model 28 that meets the qualifications for the tax credit. I have a 1400 sf home to heat with it. Prefer a quieter blower if at all possible, and something nice to look at. No other qualifications other than it fits and is reliable.

Thank you!

Looks are subjective. What is your budget? If you want it for this winter make a decision asap. I’m quite happy with my Drolet 1800i.

You will need to take some measurements. Ask your self if you want a Catalyst or not. Is the current insert hiked up to a liner? Either way with the tax credit it’s probably a good idea to replace the liner if it’s over 10 years old. Insulate it too. And add a blockoff plate.

Checkout Osborn stoves too they have some better looking models than Drolet. (Same parent company).

My preference would be a more square firebox than a shallow one, but this will depend on what fits. Can you provide full fireplace dimensions front and back and depth, top and bottom? That will help guide suggestions.