Suggestions for strong but quiet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dan105

Dec 20, 2015
Salem, NH
My experience with pellet stoves is as follows- I had an Englander pdv25 in my old house that was 800 sq ft. I bought a 3,000 sq ft house in Dec of 2015 and came on here for suggestions on a stove insert. I ended up getting a used Harman 42i insert. I have been happy with the Harman and it seems well thought out and user friendly. I will keep the Harman and have no plans to sell it. However, due to the location of the chimney, the Harman is in the middle of the 1st floor and does nothing for the upper level of the home. Soooo....I have a nice corner area in my living room to add another pellet stove. The new stove will be in a 20x13 room and will face out towards an open stairway that goes up to 3 bedrooms directly at the top of the stairs. I close the the upstairs bathroom door and the 3rd bedroom door to help heat the master and my son's room. The Harman either isnt strong enough, I should be using fans to push air, it's not in a good install location, or I am just a moron thinking it would heat a 3k sq ft home. I run the stove pretty much wide open with Douglas Fir pellets and the main tv room on the end of the house (not in the direction the stove is blowing) is like 65 degrees. This is not working out for me. Those things considered, here is my new plan-
Install another stove in the main tv room that is chilly. At night, I will shut the Harman off or run it on a very low setting. And I will crank the new installed stove hoping that the heat will come up the staircase and make the bedrooms around 68 degrees. Is this realistic or am I smoking crack? I need a strong stove and something that is quiet. The Harman is pretty loud :/ Being that the new stove will be in the main tv room, I dont want to have to crank the tv volume or yell to someone in the next room or vise vera. I am trying to stay away from going back to a woodstove as I really dont wanna buy, split, stack wood, and deal with all that. So I am open to suggestions and have got good advice on this forum in the past. Thanks for reading and hope someone has the right answers. The house is in new england, is 3k sq feet, has a full basement that has a hot water boiler kicking on here and there. It's a 2 story garrison style house that is insulated with a 5 ft attic.
I can't really afford another expensive stove. The Harman cost me 2,200 used. I see a stove on Tractor Supply Company website that is made by PelPro and called the TSC90 also known as the PelPro PPC90 model. It is a cast iron stove and says it puts out 50k btu. They have it for sale for $1,300.

Last edited:
Last night I was over at my my senior citizen neighbors house to see their new Harman Allure50 . All I can say is the Allure50 is much quieter than my 2008 Harman Advanced. Since my neighbors are in their 80s I was concerned they would have difficulty running and maintaining their new Harman. It appears that the Allure 50 is a lot easier to maintain and run than my pellet stove.

http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/brochures/Allure50_Brochure_HAR-1710U.pdf

My experience with pellet stoves is as follows- I had an Englander pdv25 in my old house that was 800 sq ft. I bought a 3,000 sq ft house in Dec of 2015 and came on here for suggestions on a stove insert. I ended up getting a used Harman 42 insert. I have been happy with the Harman and it seems well thought out and user friendly. I will keep the Harman and have no plans to sell it. However, due to the location of the chimney, the Harman is in the middle of tge 1st floor and does nothing for tge upper level of the home. Soooo....I have a nice corner area in my living room to add another pellet stove. The nes stove will be in a 20x13 room and will face out towards an open stairway that goes up to 3 bedrooms directly at the top of the stairs. I close the the upstairs bathroom door and the 3rd bedroom door to help heat the master and my son's room. The Harman either isnt strong enough, I shoukd be using fans to push air, it's not in a good i stall location, or I am just a moron thinking it would heat a 3k sq ft home. I run the stove pretty much wide open with Douglas Fir pellets and the main tv room on tge end of the house and not in the direction the stove is blowing) is like 65 degrees. This is not working out for me. Those things considered, here is my new plan-
Install another stove in the main tv room that is chilly. At night, I will shut the Harman off or run it on a very low setting. And I will crank the new installed stove hoping that the heat will come up the staircase and make the bedrooms around 68 degrees. Is this realistic or am I smoking crack? I need a strong stove and something that is quiet. The Harman is pretty loud :/ Being that the new stove will be in the main tv room, I dont want to have to crank the tv volume or yell to someone in the next room or vise vera. I am trying to stay away from going back to a woodstove as I really dont wanna buy, split, stack wood, and deal with all that. So I am open to suggestions and have got good advice on this forum in the past. Thanks for reading and hope someone has the right answers. The house is in new england, is 3k sq feet, has a full basement that has a hot water boiler kicking on here and there. It's a 2 story garrison style house that is insulated with a 5 ft attic.
I can't really afford another expensive stove. The Harman cost me 2,200 used. I see a stove on Tractor Supply Company website that is made by PelPro and called the TSC90 also known as the PelPro PPC90 model. It is a cast iron stove and says it puts out 50k btu. They have it for sale for $1,300.
Hey Dan, I'm not sure how the air flows from downstairs to up stairs in your home but you could try a space heater maybe one that has a fan to see if it raises the temp in those upstairs rooms. Well as far as a quiet pellet stove in my experience you need powerful fans to heat a large home as you have. I have a new accentra model 52i now the fans themselves are very quiet but the rushing air coming out when they are turned to high is noisy but it's very welcome on a cold day. You could always turn the fans lower to watch tv then turn them on high before bed just my 2cents.

I would suggest going to a few dealers and look listen to some of the stoves on display out there and get an ide what your looking for. Everyone has a different idea of quiet.

Hudson River has a stove called the Kinderhook. It's made be Enviro. We've sold 40 through the NYSERDA program and haven't had any complaints. It's 50,000 BTU and has a 130 pound hopper.

Have you considered a pellet boiler to install next to your main boiler ( in retrospect it's what I should have done) ? Heat the whole house with that and use the insert for aesthetics plus a little help..