Suggestions for wrist protection?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WonderingWoman

Jun 5, 2008
Pacific NW
When I use the chainsaw a lot, and also split wood, I get tingling and numbness in my hands. I've had this problem on and off related to power tools, and definately it's aggravated by using a chain saw and splitting wood.

Any suggestions for a comfortable wrist protector?

Mechanix brand (and others) make a glove with palm padding. They aren't cheap and I believe they dropped their lifetime warranty but they do help to cut down on "vibration induced hand fuzzyness". They make a bunch of different 'models' so choose wisely.

BTW, I'm not a doctor either. I am however an expert on busted knuckles. :)

I have some vey old fingerless gloves with seveal layers, leather inside, then a viscous, heavy dense absorption layer, and finally leather outisde. They were not designed so much for vibration as for shock and impact: using hammers, grinders, etc. But they work well for sawing, weed whip and other vibration applications. I'd think they would work well for manual splitting with a maul. Don't know the name, but try Grainger, they have several types. not cheap, $30-75, but way cheaper than crippled up.

Vibration + cold weather can lead to the 'white finger' disease. Hence many Scandinavian saws have heated handlebars.

Finally, do you have a saw with good vibration? The 'good old days' of metal saw, no mufflers, and rigid mounted bars = pain as well as nostalgia. Do you have something modern? Even many small consumer saws now have no anti vibration system, or may have some flexy cheap spring system that isn't really effective.

I have good saws, but still wear the av gloves usually.

k

sinnian said:
You may be experiencing early symptoms of tendinitis or carpal tunnel syndrome.

I'm a sufferer and I have been told by more than one person that it is indeed carpal tunnel. I know of one person that got his surgically fixed and is curred. I however, have chosen to keep me numb hands for now (oddly enough, mine are the worst while sleeping).

Bio-flex!

InTheRockies said:
I've been using something similar to these -- http://www.amazon.com/TSG-Black-Wri...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1222053862&sr=1-2 . My hands and wrists didn't start to bother me until about the 5th straight day of cutting and splitting. Once they began hurting, I began wearing wrist guards. It helps a bit, along with Tylenol.

Better to put them on BEFORE you start having trouble - given that you have a bad history of problems, I'd say to put them on EVERY time... I've also seen various herbal remedies suggested for this type of problem, never tried them though, so can't say if they work or not. Some people have also found that chiropractic and / or accupuncture can help.

Lastly, as others have suggested, if you don't have a low-vibe saw already, consider trading... It makes a BIG difference - my 36cc Pull-on vibrates enough that my hands are numb for 10 minutes or so after a full tank of gas. OTOH my Dolmar is so smooth I can hardly feel it run, especially while cutting. You can see how the engine is shaking in the springs - but nothing gets to your hands.

Gooserider

woodconvert said:
sinnian said:
You may be experiencing early symptoms of tendinitis or carpal tunnel syndrome.

I'm a sufferer and I have been told by more than one person that it is indeed carpal tunnel. I know of one person that got his surgically fixed and is curred. I however, have chosen to keep me numb hands for now (oddly enough, mine are the worst while sleeping).

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's carpel tunnel. I only have flare ups when I am doing some sort of building project involving hammers and power tools. Using the computer also aggravates it. I also get numbness when sleeping, I think it's the position my wrists are in.

When I have a flare up I'll use my computer mouse with my left hand, since my right hand is worse

If sleeping agravates it, you might want to investigate how you hold your wrists at night, that may be putting pressure on nerves that it shouldn't be. Some folks I know have to wear wrist splints when sleeping to keep their wrists straight.

I would suggest at least seeking some medical advice / investigation to see what is going on. I'm not an expert on the subject but everything I've seen on Carpal Tunnel and related problems suggests that it's one of those problems that is relatively easy to handlle if caught early, but that delay can lead to permanent damage, and / or require much more invasive (spelled e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e!) treatment to deal with it.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.