Suggestions on how to haul logs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
maplewood said:
A friend of mine used a car hood, courtesy of the junk yard, as a sled. Flipped it shiny side down, cut a hole in the curved front to pass a chain through

Now that's an interesting idea. As long as the hood was pretty flat and did not have a center ridge that would act as a keel and not allow the "sled" to track straight while it's being towed. Another use for the hood when not acting as a wood sled... It could be used for the roof of a mini- wood shed. It would be a sled/shed!

I can get a pallet easily, and/or make a dray. Getting the logs onto the dray might be a bit tough, but it will roll easy enough.
Excellent ideas, I will post photos of what I end up with, and how it works.

TreePointer said:
Dune said:
You use a slip hook on your chain instead of a grab hook.

The slip hook grabs, the grab hook slips.

Srbenda, around here, Lowes keeps a log chain in stock. It's not the best ever made, but it will get the job done.

Campbell Commercial 3/8" x 14' GR 30 Log Chain

Excellent. Hopefully, I can do this without spending the $30, but I bet these guys have it too.

Srbenda said:
I can get a pallet easily, and/or make a dray. Getting the logs onto the dray might be a bit tough, but it will roll easy enough.
Excellent ideas, I will post photos of what I end up with, and how it works.

I simply use a cant hook but if I were younger I'd have done like another fellow who helped me a few times and just lifted one end onto the dray and then slid the other one beside it. You could also use a couple ramps if you wanted to put another log on top.

fwiw, I skidded those logs in high gear and did not use 4wd at all. Even getting started and going up a grade was no problem. If using a small garden tractor or mower, to get it started moving one would pull at an angle rather than straight as that would get it started moving with much less effort. The same thing if one skids logs on the ground. Don't try pulling straight but start making the log roll by pulling on an angle. For this you can also wrap the chain to force the roll of the log.

Well, it wasn't easy.

I ended up calling my bobcat owning neighbor to get the logs moved.

Anyway, here's a few shots of the sawmill in action, and some of the finished product.

i-nhXr8JB-L.jpg

i-3jp4MRx-L.jpg

I used Woodchuck Enterprises out of Hockessin, DE to do the milling. He did great work, and his pricing was very reasonable.

Srbenda said:
OK, Craftsman "garden tractor".

The Toyo can pull 'em no problem, I just need an idea how to attach something (chain, rope, tow straps, etc) to the actual log so it will stay on.
These are red oak logs, about 24" diameter, and 8' long.

They are definitely not lightweights...
Wrap a chain around the log, pull it, its that easy

Wallyworld said:
Wrap a chain around the log, pull it, its that easy

Really?

pen

Another vote for chain to your truck.

Not sure why he'd chain it now considering he has already moved and milled it!

pen

pen said:
Not sure why he'd chain it now considering he has already moved and milled it!

pen
LOL Ja, he could move it with his bare hands one board at a time.

Check out a video on you tube from log rite log arch. Very cool/ I tried to add a link but could not get it to work

Beating-head-against-wall-001.gif

This thread was completed as the original poster showed a successful finish 7 posts back or so!

The fire is lit! Not much to be gained by still putting matches to it.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.