Summer-ize a P-stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zerowkul98

Oct 5, 2016
Bolton, MA
Good morning all!

The warm weather has arrived in Massachusetts, and i am being told by the place i bought our Heatilator Pellet Stove from that i should disconnect it from outside air so that it doesnt get rusty on the inside from the humidity.

Seeing if anyone here has a best-practice for doing this.

Do i cover the exhaust pipe from the outside somehow?

Do i block off/disconnect the air intake vent?

Thanks in advance!

tlc1976

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2012
Northwest Lower Michigan
Not just for humidity, but good way to keep critters out.

bogieb

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2014
South Central NH
I ball up some newspaper and stuff it in the exhaust, slide a ziploc bag over it, then snug up with a wide rubber band.

The OAK, I disconnect from the stove and stuff newspaper in.

Then I put a stickey on the control panel to remind myself of what I need to take care of prior to starting it back up

P61 pellet stove off reminder for season 5-17-20.jpg

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
P61A..
I put a plastic freezer bag over the top of my outside exhaust with a couple zipties..
i cover my OAK vent with duct tape and put 2 cans of damprid in the stove.
1 in the firebox, 1 in the ashpan. the pix below shows approx 4" of water collected over the spring/ summer..
this was before i started sealing off the exhaust top with the freezer bag.
i also spray the inside firebox walls with pam cooking spray.. [un-flavored of course]...

Attachments

Reactions: Pete Zahria