summers heat 13lc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitey4

Hearth Supporter
Oct 5, 2009
Michigan State
Hello to everyone,
I hava ? about the 13lc stove, I have ckd out the reviews on this website and they are not that great for this stove bat are awesome for the 30? I am afraid if I get the 30 it will roast out my house. I have a open house that is about a 1000 sq ft to heat. Occasionally I would have 1400 sq ft but most of the time it would be 1000. Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks Dwight

I assume you are talking about this model:
http://www.englandsstoveworks.com/50-snc13.html

It has a 1.8 cubic foot firebox, which is considered in the range of small/medium.

You will find some good advice in this article:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/choosing_a_wood_stove

In short, that stove should easily heat a 1000 sq ft area which is decently insulated. However, long burns (overnight, etc.) may be difficult to achieve. At the same time, burning the stove hot will mean an efficient and clean burn.

Thnks Craig, that is the stove that I am talking about. My house is well insulated and a fairly open floor plan, it is a saltbox style house. My main concern is that the bigger stove may just be too much for the space.
I also was confused on how this stove stacks up to the larger one as far as use and quality. The reviews are confusing and that is why I was asking here. Thnks again and I will ck out the link. Dwight

If your saltbox has high ceilings (some do) and skylights, etc. you have to take CUBIC feet into account.

You also have to take your wood pile into account. If you are going to use 2 or 3 cords a year, the smaller stove may be best. If you are going to use 3.5+, then a larger stove might be easier to put the wood through.

It may be that your needs fall somewhere in between, in which case you should look for either non-cat stoves in the 2.5 cubic foot range or cat stoves in the 2 cf area.

I think the big boy is gonna be too much heat. That is a serious heater at 3.5 cuft of firebox and a cruising speed of 600-650F. The little 13 at 1.8 cuft will more than likely be able to heat your area, but as Craig stated, you will be running it in 3rd gear. That translates into more stove feeding and the likely-hood that you will probably not get an overnight burn from it.

Both stoves are pretty stout utility stoves, and I personally would not hesitate to invite either one into my home, buuutttt....you may want to evaluate the 2 stoves for sizing. Maybe a different SIZE of stove would do you a better job (like maybe a 2.5 cuft box??)

Edit: huh - obviously Craig types faster than I do. :lol:

I have the 12 it apparently the same size as the smaller stove that you are considering but mine is not EPA certified. let me clearly say that I have NOT burned in it yet. i bought it last spring for dirt cheap from Home Depot. If you can wait, then do, but many will tell you that if you can get it installed NOW and burn ASAP then it's not worth saving a couple of hundred bucks. If you don't have seasoned wood then you might as well start collecting and wait for the sale price next spring.

Now, here are some comments on the stove and my experiences thus far that aren't necessarily performance based.

1. Hearth requirements appear to be pretty demanding compared to other stoves (other stoves that cost more, lol) I don't know about the 30's (or the 13's) requirements, so this isn't a comparison. I think my manual says R-2. There's a post around here where I asked some questions before, do a search, maybe under my name as the thread originator, or poster.

2. Clearances listen in the manual are very fuzzy. one page says one thing, later in the book i read another. Throw pipe shields, side shields, etc into the mix and it's even more confusing. if you have the stove as is, then I know you basically need a 4'x4' hearth to set it on, and 18" from the pipe, too. (edit, just looked at the manual online and it's apparently changed since I printed mine out, seems much clearer now. basically 10.5" from pipe, but still a 4x4 hearth min 1" thick with r-2 min)

3. i can't remember where it says, but I think it takes 18" logs. Good luck getting an 18" log in there. I think you have to angle it diagonally, I've been cutting mine at 16" because once you get a hefty log and you want to get it in there an angle won't work. The firebox is about a foot deep, so if you ever want to load North-South you can have some shorter splits. Just good to know in case you are out cutting and you end up with some splits that are too long, you can halve 'em, I don't know about how this particular stove will run, but I like to get a good NS fire ablazing to pick up temps fast, and West-East to get a longer steady burn. Bricks only come up about one brick in height (what's that 9 inches or so?) I once did some math and for the actual usable space you can fill with wood i came to 12x19.5x9 = 2106cu inches, that's 1.2cuft of space for wood.

4. Customer service was Courteous and Prompt. My stove came with 4 bricks that were obviously defective from the factory (not even pieces or crumbs in the firebox, there was even black paint on the brick's break, indicating they must spray the inside of the box with the bricks in there. I called up the manufacturer, they did warranty information over the phone, mailed me out new bricks asap, and were great to deal with.

5. Customer service was not technically savvy. I could have asked for someone who knows, but it wasn't worth it at the time, because I know I have the people on this forum. They didn't offer to find someone who knows. They guy I talked to didn't have the answer and didn't offer to find someone with the answer. he tried to give an answer, it was wrong, but he admitted he didn't really know and was only guessing (not after I called him on it, he offered that it was a guess before he answered). The question and answer(shortened here) Q: What do you recommend for a hearth A: Buy a hearth pad at big box store. (obviously wrong)

6. Initial impression on quality of stove is good it looks well built. it certainly weighs a lot for such a small stove. damper is simple, but hopefully does more than just look functional, the door appears to seal nice and tight, the ash tray is small, but looks ok. I like the stove with the legs, it looks better in my old house.

My main plan is to run it in the evenings and weekends so that I will be able to keep an eye on it. I was picking this brand due to the praises they get in this board and what I have seen in person has been good, and heck the prices are great also.
What other line would you guys consider in the range of stoves that I am looking at? Just some general ideas of where to go. I know that LOPI bulds a great stove but Wow, just not in my budget and honestly I do not need anything fancy.
Holy Crap Danno you type alot and fast. thnks for the info. Dwight

I just finished installing my 13 in my 1050sqft single level house. I've only had 3 fires in it so far, so I will not know for sure how well it does. I will tell you that the first night it was 36F outside and I had four windows open a crack at the top and bottom to vent the paint curing process and it stayed at 72F. I also had enough coals to reload the stove 7hrs later. This was with some less then ideal smaller size splits. I think 8hrs if definitely possible. I imagine anything over 1400sqft would be too much for it. Like others have said that the biggest draw back in the front loading door for a EW stove. I have been cutting most of my wood at 17inches just to be safe. I had a pellet stove last year and really was not that impressed. I can already tell that this little 13 is going to throw way more heat.

Thanks PunKid8888 for the info.
My house is a open floor plan with the upstairs partially open to the 1st floor. The kitchen, living room and dining room are all open to the hearth area. I had a pellet stove but it really was not very efficient and it was noisey to have in the living area.
Luckily I have ceiling fans in all the main rooms so moving the air around the house is not a problem. I would much prefer to run a smaller stove harder than hardly run a big stove, just thinking abut the temps and creosote issues. D

I have a similar dilemma. I am wanting to heat a 750 sq ft finished basement. I think the 30NC is a little big but I would like longer burn times than the 13. Let me know if you find an affordable mid sized stove.

if you are only heating 750sqft then you should be able to get the 13 up to heat and close it down pretty low that should extend your burn time a little.

I installed the 13nc last winter and I am happy with it. Our winters aren't that bad here and a few times I had to open a window to cool it down a little . Until I learned the stove I had trouble with getting longer burn times and my wood was not real dry but even at that in the morning when I got up the house was upper sixties and still had coals enough to get it going again before I left for work. The only thing I wish the 13 did better is the burn time. It's a smaller stove that would work well for your sq. ft. The 30 would definitely burn longer but cook you out causing you to keep it choked down which in turn would cause creosote and you would not be getting the full effect of the secondaries.

i use my nc13 in my 24x25* 2 car garage it is mildly insulated and when its 5 degrees outside and blowing winds ,if i run her wide open it has hit 80 degrees
on my digital wall thermometer . dont be fooled by its size the nc13 packs a punch and should have no problem heating an entire small/ mid size home if its insulated good,once things get cooking and those secondarys kick in, things heat up quick-like !the ydo like some air and they work best with very dry seasoned wood ,does a great job of conserving wood too btw.dollar for dollar feature for feature there is no stove like an englander

lexybird said:
i use my nc13 in my 24x25* 2 car garage it is mildly insulated and when its 5 degrees outside and blowing winds ,if i run her wide open it has hit 80 degrees
on my digital wall thermometer . dont be fooled by its size the nc13 packs a punch and should have no problem heating an entire small/ mid size home if its insulated good,once things get cooking and those secondarys kick in, things heat up quick-like !the ydo like some air and they work best with very dry seasoned wood ,does a great job of conserving wood too btw.dollar for dollar feature for feature there is no stove like an englander

Like the T-shirt says:

Attachments

• englander t shirt.jpg
    englander t shirt.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 633
Ok where do I get that shirt. That thing rocks

Whitey4, I am glad to here someone else is in the same boat as me with the pellet stove. It had nothing to do with the actual stove, just the type of heat they created was just boring, ha if that makes sense.

I have noticed that this stove is completely different animal above 600F. Like others have said those secondairs really start going good and that stove really starts pumping the heat. I had another fire last night (45F outside, 65F inside), before the top down fire settled to coals I was already at 70F. Is it bad that I really want some good cold weather to try and put this stove through its paces. when we do I will give you an update on the burn time.

Thanks PK8888,
I am pretty sure that is the stove that I am going to go with. I have seen them for sale on ebay and the price is great with free shipping. Actually it is the Timber Ridge but the same.

ColdinMN said:
I am considering the 13LC also. Should I invest in the optional blower?
Hello Cold, I got the fan for ours and really don't use it much. I added a speed control as the high was really way to fast and even on the low speed it was noisy. I can turn it down to where it still moves good air but you can't hear it. One thing I have found it works real good for and that's cooling the stove down when you start to over fire it. I have gotten to stove top to 750 deg and the fan will cool it down real fast. I was able to get mine off of Ebay for something like $75.00 so it was worth getting it. If I had to do it over I think I would of just mounted a muffin fan on the heat shield.
Don

Whitey4 said:
Are the US stove company stoves any good? I see them for sale at the local Farm store. thanks D
I don't know from experience, just from what I've seen in the stores, and I'm not impressed with the prices that they have associated with them. They don't seem to be built poorly (For a stove that is half the price they are listed at).

I haven't looked at anything besides the wood stoves. They have some cast iron ones that seem cool, but they are cast iron, so I wouldn't expect many people to recommend them as good stoves for regular and efficient heating of a home.

If I had a hunting cabin I'd consider this stove because it looks fun http://www.usstove.com/proddetail.php?prod=1864
seems aweful pricey to me, though. Maybe it could be found used or something.

I can not believe that no one has an opinion on the US stoves. The review section would lead you to believe that the US stove is as good as the Summers Heat? D

Whitey4 said:
I can not believe that no one has an opinion on the US stoves. The review section would lead you to believe that the US stove is as good as the Summers Heat? D

A thread titled "summers heat 13lc" is unlikely to draw the attention of many US Stove owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.