Summers Heat 55-SHP10L Low Burn flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wburmil

Hearth Supporter
Nov 3, 2008
NY
I have the unit on a thermostat, not 100 sure its working corectly. I have the setting to 9/9 when the thermostat reached set tem the flame almost goes out, and I do have ask in the stove, I assume this is normal. But I dont want the flame to go out. What do i need to do HELP PLEASE

wburmil said:
I have the unit on a thermostat, not 100 sure its working corectly. I have the setting to 9/9 when the thermostat reached set tem the flame almost goes out, and I do have ask in the stove, I assume this is normal. But I dont want the flame to go out. What do i need to do HELP PLEASE

Hi wburmil,

It sounds like the low settings are a little too low. There are three buttons on the bottom of the control panel. Push the Low Fuel Feed button and then bump it up one. Try that for about 20 minutes. If you are still unhappy, bump it up one more.

I actually have mine set so that there is barely any flame when it is on the low setting. As long as the flame doesn't completely go out, it shouldn't be a problem. Especially if your hooked up to a stat. This way it just feeds enough pellets to keep the fire going, and then when you need the heat it kicks in.

Good luck!

what numbers do you recomend ?

mine is set on 6 originally, looked like it did not change at all, I set it to 4 , and it almost went out, I have it on 5 now. I do have ash in the pot would that cause a issue its only new ash from the current burn

It really depends on the stove and setup and type of pellets you are burning. If it doesn't work well on 4 then go to 5. There really isn't a correct setting. The factory settings are 6-4-1 for the bottom buttons. Many people on this forum have adjusted the first two to get the best burn. As long as you don't change the last one you won't really do any damage. You may find that you will probably have to adjust these settings when you change brand of pellets. They all have different burning characteristics.

I have my 55SHP-25 set at 4-1-1 with a small piece of steel wool in one of the large holes. This pushes more air through the holes in the plate instead of out the top. I had some problems with the stove not giving enough air on the high settings and leaving a whole bunch of unburned pellets. Because I blocked the hole I needed to reduce the air on the low settings. The #4 LFF gives me just enough to keep the flame going. When the thermostat kicks on I have the feed and blower set at 8, 9. It warms the house nicely but having the slow feed on the low settings really minimizing the use of the pellets.

I use 9/9 I do noice alot of pellets being used, so you think i should set 8 feed and 9 blower. and hope 5 works on the low feed as i did not adjust anything else. you said the factory set the low feed to 6. I figure once it hits the set semp on my therm it would slow the feed so i will try 5

I don't know that you'll notice a whole lot of difference between a high setting of 8 vs 9. I actually don't have a real reason that mine is set at 8 instead of 9 :) My stove does spend a lot of time on the low setting with the thermostat running. As a matter of fact, with the temperature these past few days after the ice storm, we've had to turn the stove off because the low setting was still raising the temperature in the house to 80.

Best I can say is to keep an eye on it and don't be afraid to make small adjustments until you feel it's running well. Everyone has their own favorite settings :)

Status
Not open for further replies.