Summers Heat to Ideal Steel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

snaple4

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2017
AR
Hello all,

i finally decided on a stove to purchase earlier this year. Darn thing has been sitting in my shop for months. Found a way to install it and get it setup the last few weeks. One thing to note, the SH was much closer to the wall than the IS is. This is to help bring more heat into the room. Looking back I should have moved the SH forward.

A few things that I noticed compared to the SH 2k.

1) the IS is huge and heavy!
2) the IS is heavy, wait did I already say that…
3) the IS stove and soapstone is beautiful.
4) the SH was a solid unit but doesn’t compare to how solid things feel on the IS. The door fit/feel is a big difference.
5) The ash system looks much more useable. Can’t comment on actual functionality b/c it is still 90+* outside.

I have posted on another forum but wanted to share here since I like both places.

308E7962-34FA-4D5A-ACA1-C059076B00FA.jpeg A27C4E14-8218-46D8-A9E6-7F71C04C4B6F.jpeg

Hello all,

i finally decided on a stove to purchase earlier this year. Darn thing has been sitting in my shop for months. Found a way to install it and get it setup the last few weeks. One thing to note, the SH was much closer to the wall than the IS is. This is to help bring more heat into the room. Looking back I should have moved the SH forward.

A few things that I noticed compared to the SH 2k.

1) the IS is huge and heavy!
2) the IS is heavy, wait did I already say that…
3) the IS stove and soapstone is beautiful.
4) the SH was a solid unit but doesn’t compare to how solid things feel on the IS. The door fit/feel is a big difference.
5) The ash system looks much more useable. Can’t comment on actual functionality b/c it is still 90+* outside.

I have posted on another forum but wanted to share here since I like both places.

View attachment 281765 View attachment 281766
Yes you are obviously going to notice a quality difference between a basic budget stove like a summers heat and a premium product.

The ideal steel is a very good performer though I am sure you will be happy

Yes you are obviously going to notice a quality difference between a basic budget stove like a summers heat and a premium product.

The ideal steel is a very good performer though I am sure you will be happy

Figured I would point it out b/c I have had several different stoves and none of them have had this type of well built feel. That doesn’t mean this stove will last any longer that my SH would have but I didn’t realize how much different it would make going to this stove.

We had an odd low of 58* yesterday morning and I had to talk myself out of lighting a fire. back to mid 90’s today.

Is that your HVAC return next to the stove?

Is that your HVAC return next to the stove?
I’m glad people notice that. It once was a return (that was designed to pull air from around a wood stove that was walled in. Cool design if you didn’t consider how dangerous it was. Now it is just a crossover to another room.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I’m glad people notice that. It once was a return (that was designed to pull air from around a wood stove that was walled in. Cool design if you didn’t consider how dangerous it was. Now it is just a crossover to another room.

I'd still feel better if you could reverse that cross over so that it was blowing on the IS instead of sucking on it. It's still an HVAC intake if it's in suck mode.

Can't wait to hear how you like the IS. I have an Englander in the shop that may need an upgrade someday too.

I'd still feel better if you could reverse that cross over so that it was blowing on the IS instead of sucking on it. It's still an HVAC intake if it's in suck mode.

Can't wait to hear how you like the IS. I have an Englander in the shop that may need an upgrade someday too.

I took the comment to say it's just a hole with a cover now, but perhaps I am mistaken. If there's no fan then it should work well as a cold air return for the stove and pull the cold air out of the room on the other side.

I took the comment to say it's just a hole with a cover now, but perhaps I am mistaken. If there's no fan then it should work well as a cold air return for the stove and pull the cold air out of the room on the other side.

Good point, if there's no fan in it then it's just a hole in the wall and no risk of sucking smoke.

Technically It is just a hole in the wall to allow air to flow between the rooms. Personally, since I do HVAC, I would like to have it somewhere else but I have cinderblock load bearing walls that don’t allow much change.
I am excited to use this stove. Honestly, more exited to not use as much wood. That SH was hungry regardless of what I did.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Technically It is just a hole in the wall to allow air to flow between the rooms. Personally, since I do HVAC, I would like to have it somewhere else but I have cinderblock load bearing walls that don’t allow much change.
I am excited to use this stove. Honestly, more exited to not use as much wood. That SH was hungry regardless of what I did.
WS makes good products and I bet winter can't come soon enough for you! Reminds me of when I installed the cookstove.