summit owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
do you ever get secondary burn down at the bottom of the window??

i am getting that and dunno know if its cause air is coming in from the back of the boost or if its a agskets... but my stove is so hot flames are coming out of the boost air controls and it is almost all the way closed .... i am thinking i must have put some softwood in there

yes that happens to me...only when the stove is ripping tho. Congrats you have .0000001 ppm emissions right now

I don't know if it's normal and I haven't had it happen much, but it does happen. Mine weren't burning right at the opening, it was a little further back. It burnt a cave like hole in the wood on the bottom. It looked pretty cool.

iceman said:
do you ever get secondary burn down at the bottom of the window??

i am getting that and dunno know if its cause air is coming in from the back of the boost or if its a agskets... but my stove is so hot flames are coming out of the boost air controls and it is almost all the way closed .... i am thinking i must have put some softwood in there

Mine does that too. I think it's coming from the "boost" air cover, though. I've noticed it, but don't worry about it - in fact my stove is probably doing that right now.

......Nope, went and checked. Stove top is running @ about 760F, pipe is about 560F right now with air control right closed.
Stove is loaded right to the top with Poplar. :coolsmile:

Jimbob said:
......Nope, went and checked. Stove top is running @ about 760F, pipe is about 560F right now with air control right closed.

what is your chimmney height.. how do you get it so hot with a full load still in it?

iceman said:
Jimbob said:

what is your chimmney height.. how do you get it so hot with a full load still in it?

Stove is in the basement, and we live in a bungalow so I would say the total length from the flue coller to the cap would be ~ 18 feet.

To answer question # 2, all I do is load the stove right up while there is still a good bed of embers and turn it down once the flames get rolling, a little at a time until it is right on the lowest setting.
It takes a little time for the stove to get that hot at the lowest setting, but there is still lots of wood in there once that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.